98 115hp johnson turns over wont crank!!!

07red600rr

Recruit
when i try and crank the motor it will turn over till the battery dies but never sounds like it wants 2 crank. the carbs have gas in them and the fuel pump looks as if it is free flowing. the electric choke or primer(the little cylinder with the gray screw connected to the red appendage that swivels 90 degrees) may be the problem but i have no clue how to check it. also it seems as the plugs arnt getting gas and r dry after trying to crank it. although, if i spray an oil gas mix in the air intake or plugs it will crank after about 4 tries! any help would be amazing im lost thanks in advance!!!!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 115hp johnson turns over wont crank!!!

If the motor actually turns over then it is cranking.
Need some more history on the motor. Is it new to you or is this a new problem that has just started ?? What work has been done to the motor ??? Post the model number of the motor. From your symptoms I would guess that the motor has been sitting for a while and the fuel has gummed up (varnished) in all the places it should not. It will need at the very least a fuel system clean out. If the motor is an unknown to you then a water pump service would be vital as well.
Welcome to iboats.

07red600rr

Recruit

actually i have had the boat for a while but its been one thing after another. not sure on the model number ill get that wed but its the V4 spl 115hp. once i get it started (i give it a lil gas in neutral also) about 30 secs later i place it in neutral up right position and i can let it run all day. then i can kill it and crank it right up also for a lil while but like an hr later give or take it cranks without the hope of starting again.

ive replace the starter and battery on the boat and im abut to change the water pump thats over due along with the seals by the prob b/c i noticed a oil leaking out of it. but ive owned the motor for a couple yrs. its ran pretty good the only thing is sumtimes when i pull it up on the trailer ill gas it and itll kill but i dont understand that either b/c it would pull skiers wakeboards no prob. o also every now and again if i put the boat in neutral from a decent speed fast it would kill but crank right up after and it only happened prob 5 times.

07red600rr

Recruit

o all plugs have good spark havent checked compression yet but will b able 2 wed. thanks again for the help!!!