My outboard gets jerky and won't reverse now

Molska

Seaman Apprentice
1982 25 hrp Evinrude outboard?

Okay this is what happened while i was crusing at top speed on the lake my outboard seemed to gear down to that pre- plaining phase. When i tried to go fast it would sound and feel like my out board was sick. It sounded like it was struggling to get more fuel or water and now it will only go at about troling speed.

So my engine

-sounds sick and struggles to plain out
-It won't go in reverse now

my spark plugs were black so i changed them, but haven't gone out to try again yet.

oh and when i'm trying to go fast i can squeeze my priming bulb. should the bulb be hard at all times?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: My outboard gets jerky and won't reverse now

1982 25 hrp Evinrude outboard?

Okay this is what happened while i was crusing at top speed on the lake my outboard seemed to gear down to that pre- plaining phase. When i tried to go fast it would sound and feel like my out board was sick. It sounded like it was struggling to get more fuel or water and now it will only go at about troling speed.

So my engine

-sounds sick and struggles to plain out
-It won't go in reverse now

my spark plugs were black so i changed them, but haven't gone out to try again yet.

oh and when i'm trying to go fast i can squeeze my priming bulb. should the bulb be hard at all times?

No the bulb should not remain hard if engine is running.

Draw some fuel and let settle in a glass bottle, look for water seperation.

Do you mean it will not physically go into reverse or the engine quits when you put it in reverse.?

Sounds like dirty carbs and starvation or bad fuel.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

If it physically wont go int reverse, then something happened in the lower unit.
Change lower unit gear oil. Is the oil milky or have metal particles in it?

Molska

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks i'll take a look at the gear oil and the fuel,

But as for the reverse, this all happened at the same time when i physically shift into reverse i get nothing and the engine does not quit just won't go.

And the fuel was new that i put in, i was almost thinking it could be the gas tank or hose as well.

Now if i take the carb out should i totally disassemble it and soak it in carb cleaner? and typically should any parts be replaced?