Mercruiser 170 Alpha - What do I need to worry about?

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I Bought an '86 Four Winns with the aforementioned drive system in it. AFTER doing so, discovered this forum and began to read and worry... !

Now, my unit has the four inch heat exchanger, and I've installed - on your advice - the automotive alternator and Pertronix ignition system. She looks alright and runs smoothly enough, but the many posts I've seen here regarding these setups has me wondering: Is there anything else that's particularly failure-prone on these units? Are there any specific preventive steps I need to take beyond those "normal" things one does with I/O's?

I'd like to hear your recommendations.

Thanks guys.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 170 Alpha - What do I need to worry about?

Keep an eye out for coolant leaking out of the engine water pump weep hole, watch the coolant level in the reservoir. Do a compression check and coolant system pressure test when you get a chance (Autozone will lend the tools for free) to look at overall engine health. Never ever let it overheat. Never ever worry about a frozen cracked block like with the "good" engines. Enjoy your new boat, and welcome to the "470 club".;)

generator12

Thanks Bro'.

I've heard one or two words of encouragement about this engine, but they tend to sound like the encouragement a kid gets who just failed his history test... Not too convincing.

I'll take it as it comes and see where it takes ME...

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

- on your advice - the automotive alternator
I'd like to hear your recommendations.

Thanks guys.

Whew!!! I can assure you that no one here advised an AUTOMOTIVE alternator!!!! Perhaps a MARINE grade alternator up-grade.

Just keep her cool, keep an eye on the weep hole from the cam seals and enjoy your little beast, especially while it's sipping gas and the V-8's are chugging it !!!

generator12

Ha! No Ed, I mis-spoke. It's the Delco marine-rated unit.

I'm still reworking the interior, and so haven't had it out but twice - and those were test runs. I've installed "Smart-Tabs" on it too, to see if they'll help shorten the climb to plane. Also looking for a sending unit for the temp. gauge (at something less than the $45 + that Merc. suppliers are looking for).

So I haven't had a chance to develop a sense of either the boat or the drive system, but so far I have a good feeling about both. Just don't want any ugly surprises....

Thanks for your interest.