New Tilt Tube Nut-Old Steering cable

MaDWoLF

Cadet
I recently got a new tilt tube for my 87 bayliner capri/force 125, that came with a cool new nut, with a grease fitting. Everything was going well untill I realized I can't put the new nut on the engine side of the steering cable. I have good access to the steering cable behind the helm, but I was wondering if its as simple as unscrewing the cable from the bar, and putting the nut over it, then screw it back in? What is the linkage like from the cable to the bar, or "rack"? It's a little rusted at that point too, I'm thinking about leaving the old nut, which threads just fine, and not messing with the helm end. But I'm still wondering if it can be done. Has anyone done this?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Tilt Tube Nut-Old Steering cable

Nut's supposed to go on the end of the cable where it comes out the tube.
I hope that what your looking for.J

MaDWoLF

Cadet

Thats the end that it screws into, but to get it on the cable in the first place, I think you can only slide it on from the helm end of the cable. One side of the nut has a lip on it that you cant get off the ram end it seems.

RRitt

Captain

i don't understand your question at all.
you may need to take out the grease fitting to install tube. it is threaded.
if that's not it then i am 110% clueless what you are trying to ask.

MaDWoLF

Cadet

The nut that secures the steering cable to the tilt tube, I have a new one. You have to slip it over the cable from the helm end, then run it back to the tilt tube, and screw it in. I'm just wondering if its difficult to disconnect the steering cable from the helm? At the point were it meets the Rack.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No it's not difficult.But the rack won't come off.If that's what your asking.J