starter safety switch? mer mag mpi 350

dandavis75

Recruit
have a new to me gekko gtr 22, with a merc mag mpi 350. when i get to the lake and unload, the boat will not start, at first. i turn the switch and the starter does not even click, then it seems like after a couple of minutes pass she fires right up and runs great. only 11.4 hrs on motor. is there some type of safety that requires some type of time frame or something before theses motors will start??? thanks for any help...

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: starter safety switch? mer mag mpi 350

Now that is what I call a HIJACK!!!:eek::eek:

dandavis75

Recruit

hey, i was just looking for some motor answers, not spiritual direction...but thanks anyway!!!! anybody with a real answer????

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Dan,
Your motor should start right up. Sounds like a loose connection, probably on the motor. Hulls flex when they are put in water, maybe just enough to separate the start circuit, then when she settles back down, the connection is made.

Unplug, and plug back in the 10-pin connector on the motor...

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Dan,
The spammers come up all the time, the mods just haven't caught it yet...

dandavis75

Recruit

10 pin connector? where do i look for that at? i checked starter cables, both tight and non corroded. thanks for the reply...

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Starboard side of the motor, next to the cover, the connectors about 3" long, 1 1/4" in diameter, black in color...

dandavis75

Recruit

thanks seabob!!! i'll take a look in the morning. forgot to mention the boat is a 2008, with 11hrs, i guess if i can't figure it out the shop can on mercury's dime, since the warranty is good through mid aug!!! just hate to take the time to take it in, especially during prime season!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Dan,
Do you have Smartcraft gauges? Didn't realize the boat was that new. Maybe a round cannon connector is the same general area.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Some times it is hard to tell if the shift lever is really in neutral. If the shift lever and the safty switch on the transmission are a bit off you will have a hard time getting it to start. You can hold the key in start and move the lever slowly on each side of neutral till it hits. To check it just put the shift in neutral and look at the shift lever on the side of the transmission. It should be straight up. If not adjust it. Also some times cold fluid in the transmission will slow down the operation of the cam that engages the swith that completes the start circuit. If your really stuck you can jump the slave solenoid that feeds the the starter solenoid.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

As Lyle said, the neutral safety switch could be an issue also.