2003 Mercury 200 hp bound up controls

cwalker

Recruit
Feels like throttle control shifter is bound up. The the boat was going fine and when I tried to slow down it only went down to 51/2 kph. Would go fast fine. Then controls came back temporarily. Then only had down to 5 1/2 kph again as I was docking. It went into reverse but very hard. Doesn't seem to be able to find Nuetral. I checked the cables and the control itself and I don't think it was either. What is going on inside the motor?

blazer01

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2003 Mercury 200 hp bound up controls

Feels like throttle control shifter is bound up. The the boat was going fine and when I tried to slow down it only went down to 51/2 kph. Would go fast fine. Then controls came back temporarily. Then only had down to 5 1/2 kph again as I was docking. It went into reverse but very hard. Doesn't seem to be able to find Nuetral. I checked the cables and the control itself and I don't think it was either. What is going on inside the motor?

First thing I would do is disconect the cables from the engine and then try to move the throttle forward and reverse and determine there is nothing binding the cables perhaps 10 times.

Secondlly I would try and move the throttle on the engine and determine that there is nothing binding up