90 hp motor-Force--Mercury or Crysler???

asouthard1013

Recruit
Hi Everyone! I have a question about my motor. It is a 1998 90hp 2-stroke motor. It has a Force sticker on the side. Now My question is..how do I determine if it is manufactured by Crysler Or Mercury? It is my understanding that at some point (not sure when) Crysler manufactured Force motors and then Mercury bought them and were then manufactured as Mercury Force. My problem is that I don't know when those changes happened so im not sure what company made my Force motor. If anyone knows, please inform me. Thanks!

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 90 hp motor-Force--Mercury or Crysler???

being a 1998 motor i would say its a merc

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 90 hp motor-Force--Mercury or Crysler???

Chrysler was the original maker of the engine. When Bayliner aquired it, the changed it to Force and the manufacturer was US Marine. When Mercury (Actually the parent company of Brunswick) aquired Bayliner, which came with the Force outboard, then Mercury put "Made By Mercury Marine" in small lettering under the Force name. It is still the 90hp Force engine, NOT a Mercury engine. It is a different displacement than the Mercury 90. You should be able to get parts from a Mercury/Quicksilver dealer.

Hope this clears it up some for you.