Clicking from Sterndrive

otterby

Seaman
I have an '88 Alpha One. While on the trailer and the drive all of the way up I spun the prop by hand. Turning clockwise everything sounds fine but turning counterclockwise there is a clicking noise. Is this a concern? I'm assuming my shifting cable is out of adjustment, am I correct?

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Clicking from Sterndrive

When the drive is up you may be hearing the U Joint clicking. With the drive down and in forward gear the prop should lock when turned CCW and spin and click CW.
In reverse it should lock CW and spin/ click CCW.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Clicking from Sterndrive

I have an '88 Alpha One. While on the trailer and the drive all of the way up I spun the prop by hand. Turning clockwise everything sounds fine but turning counterclockwise there is a clicking noise. Is this a concern? I'm assuming my shifting cable is out of adjustment, am I correct?

Maybe maybe not. When you get home, lower the outdrive and shift into F. Spin the prop by hand. Clockwise should spin freely, CCW should lock. Shift to N, should spin freely in either direction. Shift to R, should lock clockwise, spin freely CCW. Might be a little clicking when spinning freely, but no big deal. Does it shift OK on the water? If you want to try adjusting go here: http://www.perfprotech.com/store/app_themes/ppt/images/tech-specs/alpha-shift-adjust.pdf Start at page 89 and follow the procedure. Good luck.
P.S. if your outdrive locks CCW when in F, you have a right hand drive. Good luck