New Transom

mavd02

Cadet
Hi guys !!! What do you think about this?

]

I bought this boat (cobia 1990's) only used for me to go fishing, sometimes a little ride to the beach, all times parked into my house's garage ... it's in recovering process ... i took all old transom hull off because it was strong osmosis i decided to make a complete new structure, when i've disassembled transom i saw E75B yamaha outboard motor supported only by top and hull, all the wood was rotten so I thought that transom hull was expired, i'll put strong wood and make new hull, inside and outside, to form a new solid and strong transom structure, i hope so

mavd02

Cadet
Re: New Transom

a little more...

i?ve tried going fishing this boat with and it sails very well for this reason I decided recover it up ...
I've thought about clearing and clean the entire area, to place inside two or more wooden slats to hold reinforcement and install wooden board all fix with epoxy paste, start building internal and external hulls with fiberglass layered putting all necessary... when finished I've thought about leaving the floor where I cut to keep dry transom, finishing on the outside with epoxy paste and then gealcoat ... I hope to build a very strong transom free of osmosis that stay dry...

mavd02

Cadet

advance pics ...

cleaning and clearing a lot of old resin and old glass layers little by little in spare time, i note that this is the first time someone cut this transom :D

mavd02

Cadet

too much old resin to clean and clear...

i'd like to place here a top of wooden with a hole down to put a cap and fill under floor polyurethane foam with, then spread glass layers on to make inner hull and fix wooden reinforcement and transom, then empty polyester resin, following the original cobia design as I can see ... i think enough space to put batery support anchor ropes spare gas tank etc etc etc , don't you?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like you have a LOT of work ahead of you. I am not sure why you basically cut the back of the boat off, but it will take a LOT of work to put it all back together.

Most the time you just need to remove the cap and repair the transom from the inside. There is no need to cut the outer skin off.

Here is a great thread you should read through, Everything you need to know on fiberglassing, and while you are at it just add a couple feet.:D

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

mavd02

Cadet

after all clean I'd like to put a 40mm thickness waterproof wooden board, no plywood, protected epoxy paint with same for wooden reinforcement, two in center and one to each inner corner, wouldn't you?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It appears since you have completely removed the entire back of your boat the structural integrity is compromised and you will have a BIG problem getting it back to its original state. You NEVER should have cut the outer skin of the boat out. Getting the alignment of the hull back is going to be next to impossible IMHO

I'm just sayin...:D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It appears since you have completely removed the entire back of your boat the structural integrity is compromised and you will have a BIG problem getting it back to its original state. You NEVER should have cut the outer skin of the boat out. Getting the alignment of the hull back is going to be next to impossible IMHO

I agree with woodonglass. That rear skin should never been removed. I think you would be better off at this point, cutting your losses and looking for another boat to restore.

mavd02

Cadet

I agree with woodonglass. That rear skin should never been removed. I think you would be better off at this point, cutting your losses and looking for another boat to restore.

:D:D:D thks u all i really appreciate your concern, but before, I measured the widest part of the transom and measured 1.58 m, now after removing the hull transom measures 1.60 m and 1.62 m measures the top, which means that by the weight and torque of the engine was deformed rather believe that the hull is taking its original form and the top idem was deformed one corner higher than the other, after cutting i placed it upside down sunbathing and is taking its original form, as well as the floor is not removed I think will help keep the hull in position you know :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I disagree. If the transom is now measuring larger it is because the Transom skin has been cut, allowing the sides of the boat to expand to the larger sizes. Your boat was Cast in a Mold at the factory and the sizes you measured in the beginning should be copied in the end. If you do not keep these dimensions, In my opinion, you could compromise the engineering of the boat. OOPS did a complete extension of his boat and did extensive engineering on it to ensure all was as it should be so the boat would perform as it should in the water. You need to be aware that getting the stern out of alignment can and will cause issues with the handling of your boat in the future and COULD cause other structural issues as well. I am NOT a BOAT BUILDING engineer, but I DO KNOW that removing the entire Transom skin is NOT advisable and should only be done with SERIOUS consideration to the overall structure and perofrmance of the final product.

Safety should be your #1 consideration!!!!!

mavd02

Cadet

I disagree. If the transom is now measuring larger it is because the Transom skin has been cut, allowing the sides of the boat to expand to the larger sizes. Your boat was Cast in a Mold at the factory and the sizes you measured in the beginning should be copied in the end. If you do not keep these dimensions, In my opinion, you could compromise the engineering of the boat. OOPS did a complete extension of his boat and did extensive engineering on it to ensure all was as it should be so the boat would perform as it should in the water. You need to be aware that getting the stern out of alignment can and will cause issues with the handling of your boat in the future and COULD cause other structural issues as well. I am NOT a BOAT BUILDING engineer, but I DO KNOW that removing the entire Transom skin is NOT advisable and should only be done with SERIOUS consideration to the overall structure and perofrmance of the final product.

Safety should be your #1 consideration!!!!!

thks, very interesting your comments. This History began when I saw cracks in the top, both sides of the boat by the side of the rear seat, transom was slightly sunk to the bottom of the engine support, strong presence of osmosis, if you saw the boat from behind looked like deformed because transom was empty, no wood inside, engine weight and torque were supported between hull and transom top. In some way it explains cracking and deformation including hull transom, which I'll do is measure hull alignment and place a wooden board that allow attach original top... :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looking at the original picture of the stern of your boat
attachment.php

I do not see any major deformation that would lead me to believe that the motor caused it to be "out of shape" in any way. I believe from your description that the wood transom that is encased inside of the fiberglass inner and outer shell of the boat had rotted away leaving a hollow core. You should/could have removed the top cap of the boat, removed the inner fiberglass shell of the transom and then replaced the rotted wood. That would have been the preferred method. You can still be successful just take extra care that everything is aligned properly the new transom is attached to the sides and bottom in such a way to ensure strength and watertightness. There can be serious consequences if this is not done correctly. The motor can put extreme stress on the transom and you do NOT want the back of your boat coming off in the middle of the lake.

mavd02

Cadet

Looking at the original picture of the stern of your boat
attachment.php

I do not see any major deformation that would lead me to believe that the motor caused it to be "out of shape" in any way. I believe from your description that the wood transom that is encased inside of the fiberglass inner and outer shell of the boat had rotted away leaving a hollow core. You should/could have removed the top cap of the boat, removed the inner fiberglass shell of the transom and then replaced the rotted wood. That would have been the preferred method. You can still be successful just take extra care that everything is aligned properly the new transom is attached to the sides and bottom in such a way to ensure strength and watertightness. There can be serious consequences if this is not done correctly. The motor can put extreme stress on the transom and you do NOT want the back of your boat coming off in the middle of the lake.

That's right :)

Thaybot2000

Cadet

I don't know man, I think you should have done a little more research before cutting. If you don't know what you're doing with an engine, it won't run. If you don't know what you're doing with a hull, it will fall apart.

At this point I would get another boat. Some people could fix this (I couldn't) but it takes a LOT of knowledge and expertise.

You could potentially kill yourself or somebody else if you slap this thing together and take it out on the water. Think about it.

Best case scenario is that you spend months putting it back together just to take it out and watch it sink.

Gypsystar17

Cadet

Just did my transom,removed cap,inner skin and replaced it.I would never cut the outer skin on a boat to repair transom.makes for alot more work.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think you'd be way farther ahead (time and money) hauling this boat to the scrap yard. While you are there see if you can find one that has a back end on it, bring that home and start again. Around here there free fiberglass boats are rather common.

If you have a particular sentimental attachment to the boat you may want to do a serious gut check and wallet check before you continue on.

Please know that I am seriously unqualified to provide advice when it comes to fiberglass boat re-building, so if I am off, the vets around here will certainly correct me.

Good luck!!!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

i note that this is the first time someone cut this transom:D

Is that a selling feature where you are from?

"Its a good boat, garage kept, never seen winter, driven by an old lady to go to church and back on Sundays and the transom has never even been cut yet".

I don't know about you, but any boat that has had its transom cut off should be thrown away...