2003 175 Yamaha HPDI

Triton189

Cadet
Hello, I am brand new to this site and it looks like there is a lot of great info! I purchased a Triton 189 last fall that has a 2003 175 Yamaha HPDI. I am not sure what service if any has been done on the engine. The dealer I purchased it from stated the engine had 96 hours on it. I have been reading the many threads in regards to O2 sensors and the VST filter. Does this engine have an O2 sensor? I realize it has the VST tank. Are these items I should check and change? If so, can this be done by a novice or should it be taken to a certified Yamaha mechanic.

I also recently changed the fuel filter on this engine. However, I can get to seal back up. When I press the primer ball hard it leaks out the top. Is there any secret/trick to get this to seal back properly? I believe it should not leak like this when priming the bulb.

Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 175 Yamaha HPDI

on the filter,you either left the oring out or cross threaded the lock ring.
be aware that e fuels can swell the cup. sometimes you have to leave them on the bench overnight.
yes it has an O2 sensor.
before you get jiggy with it do some searchs,then asses your ability and understanding of how and why HPDI does what it does.
then decide is this something you want to buy tools and such or take it to a dealer.
then make sure that dealer has a master tech or at least electrical and fuel certs on the wall.

Triton189

Cadet

on the filter,you either left the oring out or cross threaded the lock ring.
be aware that e fuels can swell the cup. sometimes you have to leave them on the bench overnight.
yes it has an O2 sensor.
before you get jiggy with it do some searchs,then asses your ability and understanding of how and why HPDI does what it does.
then decide is this something you want to buy tools and such or take it to a dealer.
then make sure that dealer has a master tech or at least electrical and fuel certs on the wall.

Rodbolt, thanks for the response! I ordered a new "O" Ring so maybe I did cross threaded the lock ring? I have a GMC dealer close, that recently also became an authorized Yamaha service provider. How do find out if they have a master tech?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

use the Yamaha outboard dealer locator function, any dealership that employs a yamaha mester tech is listed there. 5 star certified means they passed a self paced video course.
under the education tab on the Yamaha marine website is also a list of all current master techs.

Triton189

Cadet

I checked the Yammaha site and the best in my area is just Factory Trained. The closest one to me is just Waverunner trained. I don't think I will be taking it that dealer ship. Any thoughts on Factory Trained?