Boy lost finger from gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamac

Seaman Apprentice
Just wanted to let everyone know what happened to one little boy I saw it on the news. The boy was jumping in the water from a Bentley pontoon boat and caught his little finger in the gap on the gate and it ripped his finger off. Watch the gates and the kids.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boy lost finger from gate

Old issue - uninformed owners. Newer 'toons have guards in those areas to prevent this. The can be added to older boats.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I actually remember the first time that happened at Bennington it was just an unforseen issue that was quickly corrected with the gate gaurd as Silvertip said, don't know why a Bently woudln't have them, they have to be less than 25 cents a gate and keep that from happening, way cheaper than a law suit.

With pontoons having been around so long I was kind of suprised it had never happened before.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you post a pic of the guard?? Not sure i have one and worry about the grandkids

lamac

Seaman Apprentice

Old issue for you but its the first time I've heard of it, that's why I shared it. Yes I believe it was an older boat and I'm glad that the new one's have taken measure's to prevent this from happening. Thanks for the info on ways to prevent this. Some older boats are still around and being sold, and maybe someone out there did not know about this just like me. This just happened a few days ago acording to the news. They showed the boys hand on TV, crying shame.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems like an old safety issue can still become an issue. If someone is reletivily new to boating and the not so new 20 plus year old boat didn't come with all of the safety memos ............ it sure is nice to have a place that shares such information of old or hidden dangers..

Thanks for sharing gentlemen, the old can become new again.:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is an example of a gate guard. The balls close the gap between the gate frame and the rail.

GateGuards.jpg

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the picture, Silvertip.

My Son & wife are planning on getting a pontoon next summer, armed with enuff info I can help them make a good choice. Got to keep my grandsons safe.:)

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the pics. I dont have them on my unit but I can now improvise something Thanks..

As always thank you 5150, and silvertip,I also didn't know that.:eek:

I've learned so much all over this board from you two, thats what makes this
such a great place to visit.

Again, thank you sirs::D Jim

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ball type pictured above are the ones that don't work. The boat involved in the story had that type. I don't know what the ones that work look like, but were discribed as a wedge shape I believe.

(Great work Rick, guess you added that while I was typing.)

bruuuuce

Seaman Apprentice

Here are the "improved" pinch guards,
76039_L1.jpg

You can get these from Overtons, West Marine, Amazon and ebay, here is a direct link to Overton's

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ontoon_Pinch_Guard_Kit&aID=601D4&merchID=4006

About $15.00 per door, more than what 5150 quoted but I am sure he was talking the price his company pays at bulk and wholesale. The company Rick gave a link to makes it about $10 a door, where ever you can find the best price, it is worth it.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be getting a set of these for both doors on my boat before it goes back to the lake. This is the first i have heard of this and I read this forum a lot.

bigdee

Commander

Good post! people need to be aware of this. I found out the hard way just this past June....I was easing myself into the water slowly because the water temp was still on the cool side. I had my hand on the inside of the door when we hit a wake and the door shut about the same time as I was letting go. Did not lose my fat finger but did rake the meat off both sides....hurt like H-E double L. It might be safer to latch the doors open when using the toon for a swim platform.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bungee cord holds them open and allows some swing for waves.

mikegj

Seaman Apprentice

how terrible, never read anything about it. SHOULD BE A STICKY at top of page

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old issue - uninformed owners. Newer 'toons have guards in those areas to prevent this. The can be added to older boats.

Old for you maybe, but not for the many new owners like me who read these posts.

DNA1125

Recruit

My friend has a Bently boat and me and my girl friend were on there and she was getting off the boat and after she got off we saw blood on the boat and shortly after we discovered her pinkie was RIPPED OFF! i was traumatized!!!

EMS showed up and took her to the hospital but they could not re-attach the pinkie. We had no idea of the defect untill we googled it and not only that but a few weeks before it happend to another girl on the SAME boat the SAME exact way!

I realize it was only a pinkie but thats life changing and i cannot imagin induring something so traumatizing and I hope they get sued broke... you better believe shes sueing!

Status
Not open for further replies.