Water pump question 888 outdrive

JMSRV190

Cadet
Hey guys Im new to this forum, I did a quick search and found nothing. I have a 1974 SeaRay SRV 190 with an mercruiser 302 mated to an 888 outdrive. I think I need to replace the water pump in the lower unit. But my question is does this water pump run of the outdrive shaft, so in the sense if the props not spinning the water pump is pumping? IS this true? This is also an assumption.
thanks for your help
Josh

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pump question 888 outdrive

Everything in Blue is turning when the motor is turning

Attachments

• MC1.jpg
    MC1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

JMSRV190

Cadet

I dont have a great understanding of these outdrives, but as that diagram shows the gear engage is actually at teh bottom of the outdrive, so that shaft is always spinning with the engine hence always turning that water pump. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for your help that diagram helped massively

haulnazz15

Captain

That is correct. All shafts are spinning when the engine is running escept for the prop shaft. The shifting is done in the lower housing in the "bullet" area. The water pump/impeller spins on the driveshaft connected to the upper, so it spins any time the engine is running, which is why it is imperitive to have water running to the outdrive any time you start the engine to avoid frying the impeller.

JMSRV190

Cadet

crap so Im pretty sure I had a good water pump and smoked it. Anyways thanks for the help.