Shifts rough

NateL

Seaman Apprentice
Tired of hearing me yet? Got another what the hell should I do question. 89 OMC outdrive. Shifter sticks think its up in the handle but dunno. It was loose when I got (as in I could wiggle it towards to driver seat and side of boat. Not forward and reverse) and before I even took it out for the first time I tightened it up so it was tightly mounted. Is it because I tightened it that it could be catching something on the back side? The previous owner said she broke the one that was on it and had it replaced with a used one (I assume cables and all but dont know) Shifts good into gear but have to fight it a little bit to get it in and out of neutral. Next time out I plan to loosen it like it was to see if it fixes it. Just can't stand things loose like that but may just have to deal with it until I afford a new one. Also if anybody can help me with my other fuel thread I'd appreciate it. Wondering if I should've bought a newer boat lol oh well what fun what it be if ya bought something that you could at least enjoy one trip on before fixing problems? Thanks guys