Found old small sea king

CJ72

Cadet
I found this little Montgomery Ward sea king in our shed but I don't know how to find the year. It's also set up as far as I can see, my husband must have messed with it a very long time ago. If I can find a year maybe can see if its worth to repair it or just forget the whole thing. I have the serial and model numbers. If I can find the year maybe I can find more information about it. So if anyone can tell me how to go about finding the year I would so appreciate it. Thanks CJ72

CJ72

Cadet
Re: Found old small sea king

The numbers off the motor are:
64EA-9002A this is the model number.
serial # 38102037 my husband went and painted the gas tank red.. but the rest is all in decent looking shape. Can't imagine pushing much of a boat its so small........... thanks for any info..... CJ72

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Those numbers don't appear in the antique outboard motor catalog. The 64EA would indicate its a 1946 made by Evinrude, but the 9002 would indicate its a 1956 5.0 HP made by Gale.

How many spark plugs does it have?

CJ72

Cadet

This motor has one spark plug, says Montgomery Ward on the plate with the numbers. On the pulley ? on top it says SEA-KING M.W &Co. 102131 Its not that I even want this its just I don't want to junk something that I shouldn't. If it could be fixed being its set up that would be a neat thing for someone to have maybe. I almost took it apart myself, years ago I worked on car engines with my husband and I still have that "tinker" bug but I don't want to make things worse then all it would be good for is a decoration or boat anchor..well only kidding on the anchor, its neat looking. Cj

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Clean the metal tag and then rub your not clean fingers over it, to make the numbers clearer. The first two numbers in a Gale/OMC serial numbers is the year reversed, so 64 should be 1946...after that there is a GG which may look like EA...after that is the model number and Jim is right, a 9002A is a 1956 5hp twin. If it has one plug only, it can't be a 56 twin 5hp. More likely its an earlier 1.5 or 3 hp Gale/Sea King. Check the numbers again. There's a chance that someone swapped brackets though, so if the numbers you have already posted are accurate you have a little Franken-King motor...one from several parts. If it was stored without sparkplugs it is probably terminally stuck. If the plugs were in, it may be only lightly stuck...if you want a fun project, mix up some auto transmission fluid and acetone (no smoking of course) and pour this into the cylinders after you pull the plugs and lay it down with the cylinder/plug holes up. Let it soak for a few days/weeks and refill as needed. You might get lucky and be able to turn it over with a wrench on the flywheel nut after a long soak. Those are neat little motors when you get the minor bugs/neglect taken care of.

CJ72

Cadet

OK I rechecked the numbers that I posted and all are correct..and I don't see that the plate was changed as its not on with screws or any way to take it off. The spark plug has always been in it. I imagine when hubby stashed it he did what ever to it that he should have.. LOL or not. I did find transmission fluid and couldn't believe I found acetone too. So I did what you suggested and will see how it turns out...so thank you for your information. I don't like to do forums as I never know if I am writing in the right or wrong place.