New owner on an Old Beauty

rflowers

Recruit
I've been reading all of your post for a while now, and have decided to join in. I bought what I believe to be a '66 MFG Westfield. Came across her about a year ago sitting in a field about 4 miles from my home. They moved her because I didn't see her again until last month. I have never seen a boat like her around here before. I stopped and took pictures with my phone, came home and went online to find out anything and everything I could about the MFG emblem on the side. It was hard at first to find any information, but the more I looked the more I found. That's how I found you!
I bought her for 175.00. The guy I bought her from just did not know what he had. He told me that "IT" would make a good pond boat! Are you kidding me? She is way more than a pond boat. I love the trailer that came with her.
I have been reading all of your post and have learned a great deal. I have since cleaned her out and stripped her down to the steering wheel only, and gave her a much needed bath. I do know that the transom will need to be replaced. Saw the post on Nida-Core and will most likely go that route. Too hot in the south to tackle that right now. Will work on getting the trailer in tip top shape first. A plus to all of the repairs for me is that my husband and I own and industrial painting company where we blast, paint and work with all types of coatings. Although my husband knows all there is to know about his line of work, he knows nothing about restoring a boat. That's where I come in, along with two of our friends. He did tell me that she was my project and he would help with the coatings. The rest would be up to me. I'm glad that I paid attention to my dad growing up who was a great mechanic and is an electrician by trade. I know that I have a long way to go, but I am so excited about bringing her back to life. I think by this next spring she will be ready for the water. I'm sure I will be needing your advice so I will check in often.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Randa

pduquette

Ensign
Re: New owner on an Old Beauty

Welcome aboard Randa!! Glad to have you join us , first post and all !! Shoot away with the questions as we are happy to help!! The rest of iboats is at your disposal too .
Did you get a motor , or just boat+trailer ? We have a few Westfield rebuilds here so plenty of reference points for you. peter

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the best source of info on MFG's available! Post as many photos as you can cuz we love 'em.

rflowers

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome! No motor as of yet. Looking around though. Trying to talk my husband into upgrading his boat to and 85 and letting me have his 60. We'll see.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....She is way more than a pond boat. I love the trailer that came with her....The rest would be up to me. I'm glad that I paid attention to my dad growing up who was a great mechanic and is an electrician by trade. ...

Well I missed your post originally. Too busy with the serious business of fishing at every opportunity :)

Congrats on the boat and, yes, you have a fantastic little boat. I never called mine a "her" just "mine" but there really is nothing else for its size which will handle and do what the MFG Niagara and Westfields will do.

Best wishes for a fun restore. Don't be afraid to power it (her) with a more recent year motor either. Old motors are GREAT but can be tinker toys. IMHO