1988 Mercury 35hp 2 Stroke

tykuhn92

Cadet
So I just replaced the iimpeller because there was no water being pumped through the motor. Well now that its replaced there is still no water being pulled through. Any ideas on what it may be causing this issue? Thanks

Knightwarp

Recruit
Re: 1988 Mercury 35hp 2 Stroke

I have an 89 Mercury 35. I changed the impeller and it wouldn't pee water. Then I rigged up a hose and hooked up to my pee hole and ran water backwards while the bottom was off and I plugged the bottom of the tube. Not too long and I saw water coming out of the bottom of the powerhead. I took it apart, takes about and hour and replaced the bottom 2 gaskets. That would be Exhaust manifold to bottom cowling and the exhaust manifold to powerhead. It doesn't leak anymore and I still can't get it to pee. There are only 2 rubber seals at the top and bottom of the water tube. I am going to try taping both ends to make a tight fit and see if that works. If it doesn't then I am going to rig up and electric water pump and I will just turn it on when I need it. Modifications can be done without permission especially if it is mine. LOL. Hope this helps a little bit.

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class

how did the old impeller look when you changed it? was it all there or ripped to shreds?

Dotong

Seaman Apprentice

What i would do is take off lower unit again, connect hose direct to copper pipe that comes from pump housing, it should be just sticking out from mid section. turn hose on. water should now come out of peehole if not something must be plugging the system. Try backwashing it from the peehole end to free it. Also check the condition of the woodruff key to make sure it will turn the impeller.

Cheers

tykuhn92

Cadet

well we got water to come through the peehole with a hose so there may have beem a clog but now the lower unit wont go back on!!

tykuhn92

Cadet

Any ideas on why I cant get the lower unit to go back on the last 1/2" - 1"? :confused:

davey33jay

Recruit

First, make sure the shift lever is in Forward. I found that the inability to reconnect the lower housing was due to the misalignment of the transmission shaft spline. The drive shaft is easily aligned by slightly rotating either the prop or the flywheel, so that's usually not the problem. Juggling the transmission shaft slightly will allow the transmission shafts to align. This will allow you to catch enough threads on the (2) mounting nuts to torque close the two housings over the rubber gaskets.