tired of being towed

dj13

Recruit
I have a 99 Larson with a 4.3 volvo. I can lauch the boat and it starts and runs great. I can start and stop the engine all day long until I let it set for about 45 minutes or so. The engine will the start and run about 50 yards and it will die and it will not start back. I have changed the coil, the fuel pump relay, kill switch. I am at a loss.

cr2k

Captain
Re: tired of being towed

Have you checked the quality of your fuel and any debris/water in the tank?
Fuel/water separator?

woosterken

Lieutenant

check the charging system and the condition of the battery also.

woosterken

dj13

Recruit

checked fuel filters no debris or water visable

spktho

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check the wire/connection from the fuel pump relay to the alternator.

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where is your fuel pump mounted?

Could it be getting hot and vapour locking during your 45 minutes sitting (with a hot engine), thus only allowing 50m of running from what fuel is in the carb float bowl?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...... I can start and stop the engine all day long until I let it set for about 45 minutes or so. The engine will the start and run about 50 yards and it will die and it will not start back........

Are you sure you're not simply running out of gas???? Just because the gauge says you got fuel doesn't necessarly mean so. Additionally, just because there is fuel remaining in the tank does not mean the pump can pick it up (due to attitude of the boat/tank and length/condition of the pick up tube)

redgoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a similar problem with my boat. Determined that the engine compartment was not getting enough ventilation and caused a heat soak situation. Now I leave my blower motor on all the time my engine is running and have had good success. It's worth a try.

dj13

Recruit

it does the same thing whether the tank is full or 1/2 full or near empty. and yes i have tried leaving the blowers going and still no luck. thanks for the suggestions though

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

......until I let it set for about 45 minutes or so. The engine will the start and run about 50 yards and it will die and it will not start

....I still think you're runnung out of fuel. 45 minutes is a nice 'heat-soak' period. The float/needle is probably hanging closed. With a full float chamber the boat will probably "run about 50 yards and it will die "

Next time it happens, remove the flame arrestor and have someone pump the throttle. If no fuel squirts from the accelerator nozzles....you're outta fuel!!

dsmmace

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would put a fuel pressure regulator on and also test your oil pressure switch. Not the one for the gauge.

[OBC]Patch

Seaman Apprentice

visualy inspect choke operation during the crisis, with someones help. Maybe it's just needing adjustment.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

fuel pressure gauge at the carb to monitor if you loose fuel pressure. That will help you trouble shoot the issue, then you can move the fuel pressure gauge and see where you are loosing fuel pressure.
Have you tried letting the engine idle for 5min before shut down to cool everything off. I have a starting issue with my boat if I do not let the manifold cool down.