Paint

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible to acheive a good paint job on a fiberglass boat in the driveway? I am not an experienced painter..no air guns or anything like that. I have seen sites that mantion rolling and brushing but I dont want to get into more than I can handle

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Paint

Welcome to iBoats?
Is this a fiberglass or aluminum boat? Are you going to flip the boat or paint it right side up?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes you can get a good paint job very easily. Use rustoleum paint, thinned 10% with penetrol and use closed cell foam roller. It will come out a nice and smooth finish.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi BigD..

Welp IMHO if money isnt that tight and you can afford a practice spot then you could get a decent job with some nicer paint ( all the way up to 2 part thanes )

Roll and tip = patience and practice
Roll and tip also = prep ..apply..sand/reprep .. apply..sand/reprep..apply and hope your last coat comes out ok :)

Spray = more protective gear .. practice..
Spray = Mask and cover..light tack coat..medium wet coat..final wet coat. All in about 3 hours after your initial prep/masking.

Just MHO..

YD.

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the delay...I have been away...it is a fiberglass boat and I would have to paint it right side up and somehow get it off the trailer I suppose...thats another problem I have to solve.

Sure you can. BUT the final product will only be as good as the prep. Decide on a paint system and go strictly with the manufacter's recommendation for prep, solvent and primers.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Before we get into the paint aspect, I have to ask about the boat itself. You say it is fiberglass. In that case, what is the condition of the gel coat? If the gel coat is simply oxidized you can buff it back to almost new condition. This would be much easier and less time consuming than a total re-paint. I did my 16 foot Sea Ray in a day including removing rub-rail, cleats, bow rail, etc. You can see a few pictures of the results at this link. Even gel coat more heavily oxidized than mine can be brought back to life with wet sanding before the buffing.

As for paint, most any paint can also be buffed to look great. Buffed Rust-o-leum looks outstanding believe it or not. I heard about guys painting cars with Rust-O-Leum and decided to do a little experiment with it a few years age. I had an old car door skin and painted it with rust-o-leum and after 7 days cure I buffed it out. I have to say the results were pretty amazing. I intentionally used a red color close to the color of a 1970 Mustang I had restored. I have to say that the rust-o-leum panel looked every bit as good as the 2 part urethane paint on the Mustang. I can't say it would last as long, but I kept that door skin outside of my barn for a few years and the thing still looked great when I finally decided to throw it away.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am doing mine in my garage (close enough) :D

Never owned a boat, heck, I have not been out on a boat in years! I had unpainted gelcoat that was just too worn out/porous/cracked to save so I sanded it, primed it, and painted it using the roll and tip method.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=394027

I used Rustoleum marine primer, Rustoleum marine topside paint, a few foam rollers from Home Depot, some Penetrol (also from HD) to thin the paint, and a couple cheap brushes.