COBRA vs. KING COBRA - whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to know how to differenciate between a COBRA and a KING COBRA outdrive.

SEI offers a conversion kit to replace the OMC Cobra outdrive with their Alpha 1 kit. According to SEI their kit will only work with the COBRA and not the KING COBRA.

how can i tel what i have? what is the dirrerence? I thought i have the 1989Cobra mated to a 5.7L 350 CHevy motor with a through propeller exhaust.

i thought the KING COBRA has the through hull exhaust? is that the only difference? where can I find more info on this?

thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: COBRA vs. KING COBRA - whats the difference?

how can i tel what i have? what is the dirrerence? I thought i have the 1989Cobra mated to a 5.7L 350 CHevy motor with a through propeller exhaust.
Howdy,

OMC called quite a few drives King Cobra from 86~94 or so.

For the 1987-1989 model years, "King" Cobra drives were ONLY bolted to the 460 and they were quite different from yours.

The SEI kit will work with yours.

Check with them to be sure!!

i thought the KING COBRA has the through hull exhaust? is that the only difference? where can I find more info on this?
My 460 King Cobra was available with either thru-hull and thru-prop exhaust.....My brother bought this Four Winns 211 Liberator boat new with thru-hull and a few years later had thru-prop (with Capts Call) exhaust installed.

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited:

1taob

Recruit

Would it then be safe to assume that my 1988 chevy 350 "king cobra" with THROUGH THE HULL exhaust (in a Four Winns Horizon 200) is mechanically the same as the one HighLineCBR is referring to, and hence compatible with the SEI kit as well?
Thanks for the help.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

It should be compatible because your drive should However.......you have a boat that is more than 20 years old, who knows what drive someone put on the back of that thing between then and now............

You need to determine if your drive is IN FACT not an 88 KING Cobra. It doesn't matter what the engine was called......(the put the name "KING" in a LOT of places)

It's dependent on what drive you have.

BEFORE you buy an SEI drive and gimbal kit, you will need to speak to them (SEI) and have them tell you if yours is compatible. Give them model number of your drive and transom mount to be sure.

They say that their kits will work with pretty much ALL the dog-clutch Cobras (EXCEPT the 108oz oil capacity King Cobra drive that went behind the 460)

From SEI:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans serif]Replace 1986-1993 Cobra drives that shift in the lower unit.
Does not replace King Cobra drives.
[/FONT]

Welcome to iBoats!

Regards,

Rick

[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.