Trim Pump Stalls at end of Travel

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it normal for the trim pump motor to nearly stall to a stop when the drive reaches its full up or down position? I thought maybe there should be a relief valve of some kind in the system. My trim system works perfectly in between, but I hate to hear it bog down at the end of travel.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trim Pump Stalls at end of Travel

No. You should have a trim limit switch to shut pump off at max up and down travel. It should be overridin when the trailer switch is used...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is it normal for the trim pump motor to nearly stall to a stop when the drive reaches its full up or down position?

Yes, it's normal. But you also shouldn't let it set like that. When you get to full up and the pump bogs, then just a brief bump of the down takes the excess pressure off the system, and prevents the relief valves in the pump from jamming if sitting for a while.

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for all the input folks. Just to clarify, the trim-up limit switch does stop the up trim. The trailer switch works also and over rides the limit switch. I never thought about letting it sit for long periods with excess pressure on the valves. I will take your advice and relieve the pressure before storage (during the week or overnite).

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I will take your advice and relieve the pressure before storage (during the week or overnite).

Get in a habit of relieving the pressure every time you put the drive up. Your VERY EXPENSIVE trim pump will thank you for it.