9.9 Johnson no spark top cylinder

Chad laney

Recruit
Hi everyone, Please help me fix this thing. No spark to top cylinder. I replaced the coil and wire. Made sure everything is grounded. Put an omh tester on all wires. All wires checked out to be good. Pulled flywheel and cleaned up magnets on flywheel and cleaned up the magnectic pick up. Once in a while the top cylinder will spark a time or two. Im blown away by this thing. 10R79B is the model number.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 9.9 Johnson no spark top cylinder

If everything else checks out it sounds like a defective power pack.
How did you ohm check the system, where did you find specs?

Chad laney

Recruit

Well let me clear that up about the ohm test... I just tested to make sure i didnt have a broken wire. Now if the powerpack you both are talking about is hanging on the side of the motor oposit of the coils. That is what Iwas going to change next. It just didnt make since to me, one powerpack for both cylinders, And It works for the bottom cylinder but not the top. But anyways thank you for your input if you can think of anything else please inform me.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yes there is 1 powerpack for both cylinders but there are 2 wires from the powerpack, 1 going to each coil.

Chad laney

Recruit

Hey guys, Ok I replaced the powerpack and still no spark. Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you, Chad

AlTn

Commander

welllllll...nothing under the flywheel will affect one cylinder w/o affecting the other...soooo...new? powerpack did'nt affect it...looks to me like you're down to connections within the amphenol plugs, coil not grounded, bad sparkplug wire or connection within the sparkplug boot...have you run it in the dark to see it it's arcing to ground before it gets to the plug?

petryshyn

Commander

disconnect the kill switch and retest. A short to ground in the kill switch can kill one cylinder.....