Question on doing repairing fiberglass for paint finishes

lilddawg88

Recruit
If anyone could help me I just bought my first boat and I do not know where to start on the repairing....
I have done numerous work on automobiles but none on fiberglass.... This boat is a older model 15ft Starcraft Del Rey edition and the outside is in decent condition but I want to repaint it to make the apperance look presentable....

Where do I start? What kind of Epoxy do I use? Paint? I have been told about sanding the boat but what grit? I really need help with step by step instructions... I have been told about Interlux but is there anything a little cheaper that looks just as good? Also, what paint do I use on the hull? Where is the hull? Do I have to use a primer if I use Epoxy?

I am open for any suggestions... Also, I have uploaded some pictures and maybe this might help... Thanks

-Danny-
DSC00243.jpg

DSC00244.JPG

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on doing repairing fiberglass for paint finishes

There is a repair forum for these questions. Don't sweat it, it is very much like refinishing wood or metal, maybe like in between those two.

Depending on how fine a finish you want, you will need to get to a 400 grit sanding job, between coats of paint. There are polyester puttys for filling, epoxy paste for fairing, epoxy paint for surfacing and priming, and polyurethane paints for finish coats.

lilddawg88

Recruit

So to make it simple do I have to use all the epoxy or can I just sant it with the 400 grit and throw a base paint on it and look good or should I sand in between each coat and what about a clear coat? Is that even needed?

dpscott

Recruit

Get in the water,worry about in the winter. Does it run?

Just my opinion I've wasted all summer fixing mine. Should just be using it as is for now.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

that one looks good,maybee buff it out with some compound .save your money to make it run smooth . buff out the window too