QD 20 and QD 21

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice
Can I put a lower end from a QD21 on a DQ 20

The QD 20 will not go into REV. but I have a good DQ21 with a bad power head

need to know asap and whats a DQ 20 worth with out REV ?

Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: QD 20 and QD 21

The gearcase part numbers are the same between the two, if that helps.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Probably quite a lot, you will have to cross reference part numbers to be sure.

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I will have to have my friend dig up both manuals for me .. had to ask here as he wont be home till friday and I have a chance on a motor ..

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link ..

I have the motor now .. some times hard to start but nothing to bad .. just need to tweek and set things .. the inside dial will move around so have to figure out how to keep it from moving when the motor is running ..

Now the 2nd part of my question

the motor runs .. CHECK

it will go into forward CHECK
it will go into Nut. CHECK
it will go into REV. FAIL

now if I take the lever part REV. it will go into rev then its hard to get it back to Nut.

does any one have any info how to set this up .. I have I spare QD 20 thats in good shape and a spare unit JUST for parts .. missing the bottom end and other parts

Thanks for any and all help getting this to go forward and backwards !

kids are waitting for it to go into the water :)

wbeaton

Commander

QD-20 = 1959
QD-21 = 1960

They share the same lower unit. You can use any 1958-63 QD lower unit. There is an adjustment for the gear shifter at the shifter base. If the screw comes loose you will lose adjustment. You may also have a problem in the lower unit like a bent shift cradle. If that's the case you will have to open it up and fix or replace the bent/broken part(s). Or possibly the shift rod wasn't installed correctly and shift rod has shifted in the shiftrod union. Remove the inspection plate on the side of the midsection and have a look.

I just sent you some info on a QD-14. How many motors are you working on?

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the Email ...

I have put the QD-14 on hold due to some problems .. 2 dead coils no problems there ..

the prop seems to be bad and kitting the seal and there are 2 nice dings in the seal on the prop shaft so that put a wait and see what I am getting into mode

I had a dq 21 in parts ( big basket case) given to me a number of years ago but no boat for it .. I was given 2 boats so fix;n one up and traded the 2nd for a qd-20

the qd-20 would not shift right .. so I look at the QD-21 and hay I can put the motor from the qd20 into the DQ-21 .. and see whats going on with the shifting of the QD-20 .. and now I have a working motor !!! and it ****s !!

now the problem with the QD-20 shifting was under the motor .. the joint thats under the motor was CRAP .. lots and lots of play and would not allow the shifter to work right .. and the carbon !!! HOLY CRAP 20 min to remove the crap from the bottom of the motor , it was a good thing I have a new base gasket from the basket case ..

next is to find a carb rebuild kit

I have been reading a lot of posts from other users .. THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO !!

I wish I would have found this site a number of years ago when I was working on my 1970 ES40 (if I remember right) 40 HP with E. shift ! what a solid motor ! just toss a belt every now and again :(