First Fiberglass Boat questions

webrx

Seaman
Hi all,

I recently took ownership of a 1967 Sea Ray 14 footer. I have to fix a small leak in the bottom (a couple of punch throughs) and am going to cut a hole in the floor just forward of the transom to make sure the stringers are in good shape back there (right above the small hole) the glass feels a little soft in an area about the size of a dinner plate.

I have looked at floor repair, and intend to glass the two holes (about the size of a dime each) from the outside, and then also patch them from the inside once I cut the hole. I figure epoxy on the outside, and then some mesh and epoxy on the inside - does this sound right?

OK, other question, it looks like the previous owner bolted the motor directly to the fiberglass transom. and this has caused a little damage (not broken through yet, but almost). I was gonna seal this up with epoxy, sand it flush, and then put a piece of aluminum on the outside to protect the transom. The transom is solid, however, there are a few cracks in the fiberglass most likely caused by bolting the motor directly to the fiberglass with no wood or anything else in between the motor and the hold down screws (wrong name probably). I have looked but can't tell forsure if there is supposed to be something between the motor and the fiberglass, looks like there was something bolted through the transom at one time, but those holes have been filled with sealer by the PO.

I am looking for advice on this - outboard on the back of a fiberglass boat, do you put a piece of ply on either side, it would have to be small as the transom is 2 inches and if I go much bigger then 1/4 on both sides I am going to have trouble getting a motor to fit. If you just tighten down on the glass it seems like this is asking for problems, but I don't know, as this is my first fiberglass boat, all my other boats have been aluminum and I always put wood on them on both sides and the motor then attached to the wood.

Thanks for looking and any advice you may have.

d

webrx

Seaman
Re: First Fiberglass Boat questions

Just a bump, I have searched FAQs, and threads and either I am doing the wrong search, or the questions I am asking are such common knowledge that I suppose I should know.

Again, I am looking for advice on putting an aluminum plate or wood plate between the motor and the transom to protect the transom inside and out?

d

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have always put stainless steel or aluminum plates on the inside of the transom when bolting on an engine. the last engine I actually used a thin about 3/16" plate on the outside too. it was a modified 200 on a 18footer for ocean water so i added the extra. however we only usually plate the inside.
I moved to an extension bracket, and I used aluminum plates on the inside of the transom when attaching that too.

No Fuss :D

webrx

Seaman

Thanks No Fuss,

I took a piece of 1/4 ply off the inside from the PO that was dry rotted, I will replace that with aluminum, I thought it would protect the transom by putting a thin plate on the outside as well, though, other then some scratches and a very small indentation on the outside where it looks like the motor may have been overtightened the outside looks ok and the transom is solid (hammer tested it). Thanks again for the reply.

d

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It is typical for the motor to be bolted right to the fiberglass. The damage is not typical. Perhaps the transom isn't as solid as you think.

I agree with Ezmobee. Adding a plate to the outside can be done but isn't necessary on a solid transom. Usually this is a bandaid for a bigger problem. Carefully check the transom again for rot and/or moisture. I thought my transom was solid also. Stood on the motor, use the hammer sound method and all. But when I tore the boat apart there was little left of the wood inside. I was really surprised. But I shouldn't have been since I was reading the experiences here on this forum. Denial...what can I say. :redface:
Do yourself a favor and fix it right...have fun.

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Ezmobee. Adding a plate to the outside can be done but isn't necessary on a solid transom. Usually this is a bandaid for a bigger problem. Carefully check the transom again for rot and/or moisture. I thought my transom was solid also. Stood on the motor, use the hammer sound method and all. But when I tore the boat apart there was little left of the wood inside. I was really surprised. But I shouldn't have been since I was reading the experiences here on this forum. Denial...what can I say. :redface:
Do yourself a favor and fix it right...have fun.

I suffer from 'transom replacement denial' too, but thanks to some good input from these folks, I'm going to cut the transom out are rebuild it properly, or as good as I can get it!