Help Please Engine Removal

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1977 Sea Ray 260 with twin Merc 165's. These are Inline 6 Cylinder engines. I need to remove the Starboard one and replace it. I have a running engine to replace it with. I plan to rebuild it once it is out.

The problem I have is this. The engine compartment is tight. Is there a trick to getting the engine out of the hole? Also in order to get it out, and get the new one in I need to lift it at least 12' into the air, does anyone know of an engine jack, or cherry picker that goes that high? Where can I get one? How much is it?

I have a machine shop willing to pull/drop engines for $200, should I just pay them?

Any ideas suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help Please Engine Removal

$200 to pull and drop it in seems like a good price to pay to me. I'm sure you'll spend that in time/parts to get a rig setup to pull it out.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

going that high with an Engine Lift isn't an issue, you can even do it in steps, out of the bilge to deck, then deck to ground. changing chain length as needed. Do you have a friend with a fork lift ? or small bucket loader ?

$200 aint bad.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems if you have the engine 12' in the air, you'll need a steady wide base on your lift. I rented a nice one locally ($40/day) that would lift I'd guess 10'. By jacking this lift up another 2' and removing some chain I could put the bottom of the oil pan about 7'+. Beyond that, I'd start removing trailer tires.

$200 sounds pretty good to me too.

IMG_1025.jpg

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick responses!!!!

My only issue is that I want to put the original engine back in, and maybe rebuild the other one also. I don't want to have to pay every time I pull an engine.

I agree that $200 is a GREAT price for this, the guy is my buddies neighbor, my buddy is helping me with the boat, and there will also be beer involved (on my dime). After work is done of course:D

I was hoping for something that I could keep for future use... Any sugestions....

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you have evrything loose and ready to come out with a chain attatched to the motor a friend of mine used to have a wrecker driver come out and lift the motor out with his boom it worked great but i dont know how much that would cost today

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

The first time I took a 165 out of an old Reinell I called the wrecker. It cost $50.00 cash and took about 10 minutes. The operator was bored silly as he was used to moving bigger pieces of machinery.

kilowatts

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

i know a guy who used to hook a come-a-long to a chain wrapped around a big ole oak tree branch, way up there, and then pull out the boat, back in a trailer and lower it onto the trailer.

not that i would ever do such a thing... consider at your own risk..........

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

So got the engine swapped. Used a tree and a chain hoist to do it. Now I just have to get it all hooked back up.