1999 50 hp johnson ignition problem

papajorgio01

Cadet
I have a 1999 Johnson 50 hp electric start engine that is only running on one cylinder. I have changed the power pack, ignition coil, stator, spark plugs, and have disconected the little tan wire (slow mode), and still have the problem. Can someone please help?:confused:

farmercr

Cadet
Re: 1999 50 hp johnson ignition problem

Are both cylinders firing? If they are you have a fuel problem.

farmercr

Cadet

try switching the coils to see if the top one is still not firing.

papajorgio01

Cadet

try switching the coils to see if the top one is still not firing.

When I switch the coil cables the bottom one works but the top one doesn't. Normally this is a stator problem but I just put in a brand new stator and still have the same problem.:mad:

Rick-va3rzs

Seaman Apprentice

When I switch the coil cables the bottom one works but the top one doesn't. Normally this is a stator problem but I just put in a brand new stator and still have the same problem.:mad:

I know nothing about your motor , but I do electronics .. it sounds like you have one side shorted to ground thus only fires one one side and not the other .. Thus when you move things around it moves with you also check your wires to the plugs

AlTn

Commander

I agree..if everything you've replaced was replaced with new components..you are down to plugwires and connectors inside the plug boots...possibly the top coil is not grounded as well

farmercr

Cadet

Unplug all of the plugs coming from the control box to the motor. Use a manual push button starter to turn over the motor and check the fire. That will eliminate anything associated to the control box.

papajorgio01

Cadet

turned out to be a bad timer base assembly, thanks for the help everyone. Now I have a fuel problem great! but thats a new post.