Re powering with a suzuki 115 2010

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice
Hi i am thinking of up grading from 2 stroke mercury to a 4 stroke Suzuki 115 25"
what should i look for? pros and cons with these engines please.. im paying 22 thousand for one and do not want to pay for a lemon or half a lemon, just want to bolt it up and head out to the briny deep without any worry's. being brand new will it use more oil than normal for running in. what size prop no skiing or any thing like that just fishing will i need as it is being fitted to a 19ft alloy 25" outboard pod. your thoughts please thanks..

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Re powering with a suzuki 115 2010

Where are you buying this 22,000 motor at? Must not be USD.

Triton II

Commander

I think FnC's from NZ... hence the high "dollar" cost of a DF115. FushnChups, I'd go for the 140 - same basic motor (bored out by 2mm) and actually weighs a couple of kg less (more air in thum thar cylinders). As it's virtually the same motor it shouldn't be much more in $$$ terms and gives you 20% more urge. :D

Pros? The Suzuki owners here on Moreton Bay (and there are plenty of them) all seem to be happy with their motors.

Cons? I've heard that somethimes parts can be a problem, but Suzuki here in Australia are offering good warranties and technical back up.

Props - depends on weight but an alloy 19ftr with a 115 would probably use the same pitch prop as you have on your Merc 2-banger (17" pitch?) and with a 140 you could go up to maybe even a 21.

Oil usage - I ran in my F115 Yam as recommended and it used bugger all - after the 20 hour first service she's now on Motul Marine 10W40 oil (Suzuki's OEM marine 4 stroke oil is made by Motul) which is an excellent semi-synthetic. She's just done 100 hours without measurably using or making any oil so the Motul stuff seems to be good.

TII

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

I am in NZ clanton :) home of the biggest kingfish in the world.. wish i could go 140 but alas i can not 115 is max i can take.
yes i hard about parts but i dont think i will have any problem with them.
i am running a 20 pitch lazer II quicksilver on the 2stroke. Triton II thanks for the info will still keep my ears open to see what ppl in nz have got from them 1st. if i decide not to get it. money is not the problem i will just sell up and buy a new boat engine package in oz over there instead. as i am wanting to move back to oz with my current boat, but customs want 10% bond of the boat cost so i dont sell it when i get to oz thats crazy eh. thanks again for the tips :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsK5a_xOqvQ

Triton II

Commander

Hey FnC, no worries mate, probably best to sell up and buy something over here when you get here... there are plenty of bargains to be had! :D

TII

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

Triton II hi yerp may do that will decide wid miss money bags on that one . but i have been looking at alloy boats and most are not what i want, most are low profile bass type boats, or ones that can not be taken to blue water i like high sides lots of floor space and if possible a hard top if not a half cabin that can take up to 150hp i may even have to buy a kiwi boat in oz lol ohh the ornery of it all lol. oh well i better keep looking then do you have any sites we can look at?

Triton II

Commander

Triton II hi yerp may do that will decide wid miss money bags on that one . but i have been looking at alloy boats and most are not what i want, most are low profile bass type boats, or ones that can not be taken to blue water i like high sides lots of floor space and if possible a hard top if not a half cabin that can take up to 150hp i may even have to buy a kiwi boat in oz lol ohh the ornery of it all lol. oh well i better keep looking then do you have any sites we can look at?

Yeah mate. Google TABS boats, Noble boats, Vindicator boats, Rebel boats and Bar Crusher boats just to name a few. Solid 5mm plate alloy, high freeboard boats designed for offshore. Mine's a TABS Ocean Series 580 (now called the 6100) and has HEAPS of freeboard and floor space and can take up to 175HP. The 7m bigger hardtops take up to 200HP and are SERIOUS offshore machines. I know the Stabicrafts (a few round here) are NZ boats, but for bar crossing and a better offshore ride the list above would be my starting point. Avoid the pressed alloy boats if you value your teeth! :D Cheers,

TII

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

sdsaw thanks for the links some good boats there, one thing is i wont use amf boats they way over priced for us. so will just repower with the suzuki 25" and hopefully i wont look back. i may stay in nz IF i get no problems within two years fingers crossed.. cheers for the help guys top shelf stuff

Triton II

Commander

sdsaw thanks for the links some good boats there, one thing is i wont use amf boats they way over priced for us. so will just repower with the suzuki 25" and hopefully i wont look back. i may stay in nz IF i get no problems within two years fingers crossed.. cheers for the help guys top shelf stuff

Hey FnC, nice choice bro! You'll like the DF115 as its a big capacity motor for the hp with lots of torque. Quiet, light, good fuel consumption and well built. Hope Haines Marine gives you a good warranty as the reason I stuck with Yam last year when buying here in Australia was the five year warranty for private use as against Suzuki's (Haines') limited three year one. Good luck with the rigging etc - post some pix when you're finished! Cheers mate...

TII

fishnchips

Seaman Apprentice

Hi yes i will do that indeed gonna be heaps of pic's cause i really like the suzuki they look sexy in red and black and in my books i never hear about any problems with em unlike etec's. happy fising bro tight lines