What is an appropriate age......

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class
for a child to trailer a boat?

We were the only ones at the dock last night leaving and I thought what the heck, I will let him try to load the boat on the trailer. He is 5yo and has shown a great interest in wanting to help get it ready to go to the lake and pack it up from being at the lake. I stood behind him ready to grab the helm if I had to, but he put the boat on the trailer as well as I ever have with very little instruction and in the dark. I was very impressed. I hopped off the bow put the winch on it, told him to give it a little more gas to pull it up the rest of the way, which he did. Then, without a cue from me he turned the motor off, raised it and said good to go. I pull out of the water and he goes to the truck, grabs the transom saver and puts it on without my help. It amazes me how much he watches my actions and copies them, it even somewhat scares me how much he watches what I do. It made me very proud, but also scared that someone as young as he is can do the things he does. Guess in a way I am a proud papa bragging, but in a way I am wondering what is wrong with my child. He has two older sisters 11yo and 17yo that has never shown as much initiative as he has, but I think he gets his maturity from them.

ETA: age & spelling

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: What is an appropriate age......

for a child to trailer a boat?

....................He has two older sisters 11yo and 17yo that has never shown as much initiative as he has, but I think he gets his maturity from them.

So we've narrowed the age of the boy to somewhere between new born and 10.

LOL... So how old is he??

a70eliminator

Captain

avatar. he's capable. get him scheduled for safety course, that is when he learns to read and write od course.

mbgaski

Seaman

Maybe I'm missing it but I don't think you ever mentioned how old your son actually is :).

Not sure on driving in the trailer. Supervised it's not like much is at risk aside from your boat so I'd say the choice is yours.

I remember driving my dad's old boat (a stick-steer 14' with an old Evinrude 35hp) at around 8 years old, though he never let me load it onto the trailer. I think I was around 13-14 before he let me attempt that (and it was with a side console fish and ski - I don't think he trusted me on the stick steer to load :)).

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

He's 5 sorry I edited to say that.....

This place feels like a big family so I just expect everyone to know their ages.....lol

woosterken

Lieutenant

WOW!! that is so great
proud moment for sure!! :) best be hideing the keys to the truck, he's got it down now dont need the ole man :) LOL

woosterken

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WOW!! that is so great
proud moment for sure!! :) best be hideing the keys to the truck, he's got it down now dont need the ole man :) LOL

woosterken

Agreed. My dad taught me how to drive his 5speed blazer when I was about 8. Shortly thereafter I was taking it out for joyrides. My buddies would load up some water balloons and a "winger" and wing water balloons out the back as I drove. Not real smart...but then again I was like 9 or 10.

I haven't been drunk enough yet to tell him about this one...and I'm not 29.

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd be proud too!

But I don't think I'd be letting him do it without being close if something go a little hairy.

I am amazed in the age of video games, and those battery powered riding cars how coordinate kids are at stuff like that.

Just wait until he can back your trailer up for you ;)

sasto

Captain

A proud father you should be. For a 16yr old and under in FL they need to pass an exam (online) and recieve a boating cert, unless your a licensed captain.... and with him, to operate a boat. Watching the 14yr old back a 64 footer in a slip convinced me, start 'em early.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don?t think there?s any magic number to start teaching a kid about boating or any other valuable family activity. If he shows interest, let him soak in as much knowledge as possible. This worked for my brother and me when our dad would take us out in our aluminum boat. He showed us that being patient and methodical goes a long way when you?re launching, on, and taking out of the water.

This also proved true with my wife. She grew up spending summer days on the boat with her parents. From prepping the boat to putting it away, she can do it all. As a teenager she was taking the boat out with her friends and never had any issues. I remember the first time we launched together it went flawlessly?I swear that is the best marriage counseling available!

oldjeep

Admiral

I was with you until you hopped out of the boat and left him in alone in control of the throttle.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have conflicted, but strong feelings about this one.

On this past July 4, a 7 year old at the helm of a 19' (I think) bow-rider ran under a 20' long dock, killing his 35 year old mother, who was sitting on the bow. His grandmother was one of the adults on board who let him drive (as did his mother); she may have been the owner. They came in a very narrow creek on a plane; the supervising adult standing behind him didn't pay attention for a slpit second; he veered off course and right smack into the pier. I had assumed he may haev slipped and fallen against the throttle, also assuming he was at idle speed, but learned from very reliable sources the above.
(note: it's easy for a person, especially a child, to fall against the throttle or to fall and grab a steering wheel and yank it hard to one side. That worries me about the OP's boy unattended on the throttle during trailer docking, an inherently dangerous proceedure).
I personally have let all ages of young 'uns drive the boat and I believe in starting them early, if they are going to be a boater, or giving them a huge thrill, if they are not. Depending on the circumstances, I typically had one hand on the wheel and the other on the throttle while they were operating, or perhaps my hands were within a few inches (my three year olds only thought they were driving!). Only in open and flat water, no boats in range, everyone else seated. Taught them dead reckoning, landmarks, crossing wakes and at the right age, approaching docks. So up to a point, I am with the OP.
As for the boy learning the procedure: this also cuts both ways. The important lesson is that "it's not what's taught but what's caught"--the children pick up everything we do, from good procedures to bad acts.
It's great that he learns the stuff. But you have to filter this: at a young age he doesn't know why he does those things and what's important; he is copying, not thinking, just as a parrot speaks but doesn't know the language. Thus what seems like ability may merely be good observation skills. He's the one who will raise your motor while it's still running.
The ones who think they know how to do it all are the ones who take your boat out without your permission and then do something dangerous. My childhood onthe water, and then my children's, are full of the stories--some end up funny (the 45' yacht on the mudflat) some tragic but most near-misses of tragedy.

I'm not at all saying don't teach them and give them responsibility at an early age; just be aware of their limitations. And boys loose their ability to think during their teens.

We've all seen expert boaters at 14 and maritime morons at 44. There is no "number" to answer a question like the one posed; it's all applied judgment to the circumstances. But in applying that judgment, you have to assess critically the real limitations of the child's ability, and the risk of the unexpected or unplanned occuring that is beyond the child's experience and ability.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

That would certainly qualify as a proud moment but I have to admit to a great sense of unease with a kid that young alone at the controls of a powerboat - especially with someone standing directly in front of it.

I certainly subscribe to the school of thought that says get kids involved young, give them a sense of confidence while honing their skills. But safe, competent boating is about having the reflexes to react properly when something goes wrong, not when it's all going right. And until you've seen them safely through that situation I would stay within throttle reach.

I also couldn't help but notice your reference to power loading, which when done over time really beats up a ramp, eroding the bottom with propwash and should be avoided if possible.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hide the keys before he takes it for a joy ride:D:D

45Auto

Commander

Some of the big reasons not to let children operate power equipment unsupervised are their lack of maturity and experience, as well as their small size and lack of strength. You'll find that the controls on your boat are sized to adult standards.

A 5 year old won't react to an unexpected situation like an adult. If he's in the boat by himself loading it and something surprises or distracts him, there are lots of bad things that could happen to him, from hitting the throttle too hard (either direction if he gets scared or confused) to losing control of the boat. See the articles about the 7 year old killing his mother on July 4th.

My 6 year old grandaughter drives my boat all the time in the bayous and lake with me standing right beside her. I wouldn't think about letting any child run the boat under any conditions (loading, etc) without me standing right next by them. Too many opportunities for them to severely hurt themselves or somebody else.

DSC00027.jpg

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was with you until you hopped out of the boat and left him in alone in control of the throttle.

Yeah, that is when you lost me. As the proud father of a 15 year old boy I was with you till then.

Teach him everything but be right next to him at that age.

And be PROUD!

shrew

Lieutenant

avatar. he's capable. get him scheduled for safety course, that is when he learns to read and write od course.

The avatar pic could have been taken 5 years ago. The kid could be 9-10 by now for all we know. We can't even assume the avatar pic is the same as the subject of the post.

RobbyA, I have to admit, that is very impressive. But then again, at 5 years old I was installing subfloors in my parents house while we were still constructing it. Obviously I wasn't moving them, but my father was laying out the sheets and I was nailing them down..........albeit slowly.

I think we don't give kids enough credit and are probably the largest reason they are less responsible or capable. Empower a kid to learn and do things and I think you'll be continually surprised. Have your kid hold the flashlight for 18 years and you get a kid who is 18 yrs old and all he knows how to do is hold a flashlight.