Idle Adjustments - 197? Chrysler 70hp

Smokn

Cadet
I have a 1970 Ebitide tri-hull with a 70 hp chrysler outboard on it. I was wondering how to adjust the ide on the carbs ... if I start it in nuetral and then throttle back to put it in gear it will die so I start it in gear with the throttle half "up" (is that the correct term)... I also seem to have to file the points every other time I go out and the spark plugs tend to be covered with oil .... I know they burn mix gas but don't know if this is normal. Could this have something to do with the idle?

john from md

Commander
Re: Idle Adjustments - 197? Chrysler 70hp

The idle problem may have to do with 1) a clogged fuel recirculation system or 2) a deteriorated fuel pump diaphram.

The recirc system consists of cylinder drains located under a vertical cover on the right side of the engine and a couple of rubber hoses that attach to elbows on the side and under the lower carb. You can try cleaning them out with gumout and replace the fuel diaphram if it hasn't been replaced recently and then see how it idles.

As for your points, more than likely you need a new capacitor. You can try buying one at a NAPA store or search on ebay motors.

John

Smokn

Cadet

It has a mag ignition coil ... is that the same thing?

john from md

Commander

No, the capacitor is usually located in the same location as the points. I just looked in my book and can't find any capacitor in that system. It could be that Chrysler designed them without one.

John

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my '69 70 hp there is NO capacitor/condensor w/ the points under the cap, just the shaft lobe and the points & rotor. Just an FYI...

Smokn

Cadet

Sooooo any other things i should check and any info about the plugs?

john from md

Commander

It is probably best if you review the post in the FAQ titled waking up a sleeping engine. It has a lot of good info in it.

John

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the plugs are racing style/surface gap plugs (no electrode, basically flat bottom plugs) than they likely need Champion L20V or the equivilant. You need to ensure that your points are CLEAN and gapped to .014 and open/close as they should and the mating surfaces line up. That will eliminate most of your ignition issues if everything else is solid.
Your idle is adjusted at the lower portion of the throttle tower by a "bolt"/locknut that is adjusted in or out. If you haven't already, get a manual. I personally have a Glenn's manual and really like it, others prefer Clymer's or Seloc. Good luck...

Smokn

Cadet

Thanks guys for all your help ... this site is alsome and without it I would be a land lover.... LOL