New to boating ... few questions

orbitz

Cadet
Hello all, seems like a great boating community you have here.
Just purchased a 1994 Bayliner Capri 1950, running condition, but I decided I'd perform some preventative maintenance before taking it out to keep it that way. So far, I have replaced the spark plugs, the engine oil and filter, the gear oil, and purchased a new battery. Someone had mentioned cleaning the carb and possible looking into a new oil / fuel filter? Can anyone confirm this and list a few other things I should probably do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New to boating ... few questions

Do you know when the bellows, belts, and impeller were last done?

Make sure the bilge pump works too

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

What the above said, as well as the fuel/water separator (highly recommend installing one if it isn't there already), and don't neglect the trailer. Nothing sucks worse than driving a perfect, ready to launch, boat only to find out halfway there the bearings give out and leave you on the side of the road or worse.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

what kind of engine? (if i'm not mistaken, that 1950 came as both an outboard as well as I/O setup?)

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have one, get a safe boating certificate. Many states require it.

orbitz

Cadet

Do you know when the bellows, belts, and impeller were last done?
Make sure the bilge pump works too

Bilge / Blower works. Not sure when bellows, belts or impeller were last done.

Andy'sDelight said:
What the above said, as well as the fuel/water separator (highly recommend installing one if it isn't there already), and don't neglect the trailer. Nothing sucks worse than driving a perfect, ready to launch, boat only to find out halfway there the bearings give out and leave you on the side of the road or worse.

Not to worry ;). I forgot to mention I pulled out the ol grease gun and greased the trailer bearings and grease nipples on the stern drive (which i'm assuming relate to the trim).

smokingcrater said:
what kind of engine? (if i'm not mistaken, that 1950 came as both an outboard as well as I/O setup?)

Mercruiser 3.0LX Alpha One II Sterndrive

orbitz

Cadet

If you don't have one, get a safe boating certificate. Many states require it.
I'm in Canada, although not a bad idea given I'm in a border town separated by the St Marys River and Lake Superior, so I'm sure I'll see the U.S. Coast Guard more than once ;).

By the way, I noticed the bolts on the valve cover were a little loose and I was thinking I should probably change the valve cover gasket, but I'm not quite sure where to get one. Anyone know of an online store?

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to worry ;). I forgot to mention I pulled out the ol grease gun and greased the trailer bearings and grease nipples on the stern drive (which i'm assuming relate to the trim).
You may actually want to inspect the bearings.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mercruiser 3.0LX Alpha One II Sterndrive

There should be a grease zirk inside as well. Look behind the engine.

My Mercruiser had on there. And if I remember right, there were three on the outdrive.

Scorpion210

Seaman

I'm in Canada, although not a bad idea given I'm in a border town separated by the St Marys River and Lake Superior, so I'm sure I'll see the U.S. Coast Guard more than once ;).

By the way, I noticed the bolts on the valve cover were a little loose and I was thinking I should probably change the valve cover gasket, but I'm not quite sure where to get one. Anyone know of an online store?

You do require your Boater's card in Ontario too. They became mandatory in Sept 2009

orbitz

Cadet

You do require your Boater's card in Ontario too. They became mandatory in Sept 2009

Sorry, the term certificate (above) confused me. I have my pleasure craft operators card (canadian boating license).

Anyone know where to get a valve cover gasket for a 94 Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0L/LX

orbitz

Cadet

Thanks so much! Only issue is, I don't know which one I need for a Mercruiser 3.0L LX Alpha One II 4 Cylinder.. there are a few mercruisers listed..

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks so much! Only issue is, I don't know which one I need for a Mercruiser 3.0L LX Alpha One II 4 Cylinder.. there are a few mercruisers listed..

Put a new thread in engine repair. Give any and all information on the engine, year, any numbers you can find on the intake and they will have you set up in no time.