Looking for Tips to Change Out a Steering Cable

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is on a 1977 Larson Manta 175 and probably the original single cable steering - not attached to a motor right now. The motor end where it goes through the motor tube got bent about 30 degrees and I don't think doing a "straightening job" will work. Does the cable detach nicely at the wheel end? The new cable will be going on a 1990 Merc 90hp.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Looking for Tips to Change Out a Steering Cable

Chances are you will have to replace the rack/pinion at the helm as well as the cable. Teleflex sells these as a "sealed" unit these days.

I replaced a cable on a 1973 tri-hull I had a few years ago. It was really pretty straight forward. Since you don't have a motor already on the boat it should be even easier. In my case the hardest part was getting the shaft out of the tilt tube.

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Looking for Tips to Change Out a Steering Cable

Did a little more checking today. I should have changed/done something about the steering cable before I installed the 90 Merc on the boat last night :( The seller had a cherry picker and was all set to put the motor on so I thought o.k, I'll deal with it later as I don't have the picker. The problem will be to get a new cable through the motor tube without unbolting and either sliding over or somehow lifting it up and out. The wheel is an original teak one with 3 stainless spacers (spokes) and I would like to save it. The helm is skookum mounted under the dash and has the large black synthetic drum - about 8 " in diameter. The drum/cable work nicely with the wheel - i.e. not a hint of being sticky or approaching frozen. The 30 degree bend at the motor end runs about 3" and is just head of the nuts (motor side) that secure the cable to the motor tube. I think the guy ahead of me bent the tube when he took off the existing motor that he kept. Before tearing it all apart (and doing something I'll probably regret), I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in straightening a rod that has been bent like this one.