9.8 Mercury Gear selector

monk1

Recruit
I'm new to boating and new to the forum so I apologize if this is a repeat question. I?ve inherited what I am thinking is a 1971 9.8 mercury 110 outboard motor with a Thunderbold ignition. I have noticed, with the motor off that I cannot shift the gear selector into reverse. I can shift from neutral to forward. Is this normal, is there a lock that I?m missing or is this something more ominous that I would need to get looked at?

Thank - you for your help

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 9.8 Mercury Gear selector

Sounds like the shift rod is misaligned. When it is in what you believe to be neutral can you spin the prop by hand freely? If it gives resistance in both directions you are in reverse. When it is in forward gear it will spin clockwise freely and give audible clicking but give reistance to turn counter-clockwise.

I think the splines are misaligned and you may actually not be able to shift into forward.

Let us know.

HD

monk1

Recruit

Thanks so much for the reply huntin dawg. I have a friend coming over tonight who knows a heck of a lot more than I do. I passed your comments along and we'll be looking at that first. I'll let you know.

Thanks
monk1

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are saying it won't go in with the motor not running so I presume it will with the motor fired up? With the motor off turn the prop by hand and put some pressure on the shifter. The clutch dogs probably just ain't lined up. They normally shift easier when running.

monk1

Recruit

Ok - feeling a little sheepish here but bob1340 hit the nail on the head. I followed his advice first (seemed like the right thing to do was the easiest first) and he was right. We fired up the motor last night after making sure we could go through the gears and it works perfectly. Can't wait to go out this weekend and try it with the boat.

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the help. One last question though. If the "locking up" keeps happening should I be looking at replacing the clutch dogs? I guess what I'm asking is - is this a symptom of something I should be looking at repairing or just something that happens?

Thanks again guys - I appreciate the quick response and am loving the forum. the motor came with a 12ft MirroCraft and I've been browsing the modifications. Starting to put some plans together...

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

I doubt you will have any trouble. Did you check the oil condition? Those little gear boxes only take 3.75 oz so I plan on changing mine every year. If you ain't drained it recently or know it's been drained just do it. Drain it into a clean container and check for metal and water. And yes, you will think that gear box will take more than 3.75 oz of oil but that will fill it up. Those Swedes left very little air space in there!!

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

It might also be that you're trying to shift the motor into gear w/the throttle up. Some motors prevent this for safety reasons.