Just bought my first Starcraft! 1962

It's a mess but I think it has potential. It's a 16' with a 75 hp Evinrude. I will probably be bugging a lot of you in the coming month's. I'm a newbie. Probably won't get started on it till fall (winter). Motor needs some work. Probably take care of that first. I want to put it in the water and take her for a spin. Then, begin. I'll get pics up as soon as I figure this forum out. Once I do, please take a gander and let me know what you think. You ideas and advice are welcomed. Even if it's to tell me to get rid of it, now! lol Well, better get off of here for now. My wife is not as excited about it as I am. Is that normal?? Looking forward to the rebuild. Hope I am up for the challenge.

Photo0336.jpg

Photo0339.jpg

Photo0338.jpg

Last edited:

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: Just bought my first Starcraft! 1962

Welcome to the Starmada. That's what I did, took it out a couple times before starting. Don't hesitate to ask us about your restore. We will tell you what we did, good or bad. You might have a Jupiter, if not I will be corrected soon. :D

We like to know where in general folks are. Sometimes you will find another SCer close by, I have visited two fellow restorers. Noticed the KY license. Lived there for 25 years. You can add your location in your profile if you want.

Albert

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a Jupiter to me! Check out the link to my Jupiter project in my signature below for some ideas. Nice looking boat. It will really be a head turner with that classic Evinrude on it if you can get that going. Welcome to the forum and the Starmada.

Please resize your pictures to 640x480. You can do that in photobucket with a single click.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If it is a Starmist as you mentioned in the Show us your Starcraft thread...then the 1962 brochure has a picture of your rig with the same vintage Evinrude:D

I like the boat, and if it's a Starmist or Stardust it's the first we've ever seen, and trust me, we've seen lots of Starcrafts;)

The only difference was the seating options, just like the Jet and Jet Star hulls.

The length will really tell you for sure since the Jupiters are 16' 2.5" while the Starmist/Stardust were 15' 11".

Congratulations and welcome to the armada:)

4251769059_1455021714.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, cool! A new Starcraft! Welcome!:D

I measured the length when I got it home yesterday and measuring from tip to glass (outside) and glass (inside) to transom was 16'. Deducting the glass trim should put it at 15' 11". I will remeasure tomorrow and check against brochure specs. From what I read in the brochure, so far, it appears to be a "Starmist". Thanks for the comments. My enthusiasm continues to swell!

Just got around to measuring again. (Had to go fishing last night) Overall length is 15' 11 1/2". I believe it is a "Starmist". I will continue to look for clues but until I prove otherwise, I guess I will refer to it as a "Starmist". I do know it is a Starcraft and I love it! Now, to decide in what form to restore it. All orginal? Customized? Color? Carpet floor? and on.... and on... Anyone have any thoughts? Open to suggestions.

MachSchnell

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like a beauty! Wife won't mind when you pilot her up to the club in her dress yachties!

Good luck - looks like a great project.

Thanks to all for the comments on my new project. I slid the boat off of the trailer this morning and am evaluating it along with puting some lights on it so I can leagally (and safely) haul it around. Better get back on it. More pics later. :)

-DannyBoy-

Seaman

That's really interesting... I always assumed mine was a Jupiter as well but when I measured it was just under 16 inches. So is it possible I have a Starmist as well?

boat.jpg

Looks like a beauty! Wife won't mind when you pilot her up to the club in her dress yachties!

Good luck - looks like a great project.

Thanks! Yes, I think she might change her tune a bit once the resto is complete.

That's really interesting... I always assumed mine was a Jupiter as well but when I measured it was just under 16 inches. So is it possible I have a Starmist as well?

Could be a Starmist or a Stardust. Depends on the original seating and some trim.

For the record.... I will never trust grounding to a trailer again!:mad:

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the record.... I will never trust grounding to a trailer again!:mad:

Yup. I learned that lesson the hard way too ... and while you're at it, consider replacing the conventional trailer lights with LED lights. They're both dunkable and corrosion resistant, which eliminates 99% of the hassles associated with conventional lights.

Nice looking boat! Have fun!
Dave

I know how you guys like pics. (I do too!):)

Photo0437.jpg

Photo0443.jpg

Photo0444.jpg

Photo0422.jpg

Photo0425.jpg

Last edited:

63Star16

Cadet

IMG_0398.jpg

Just picked up this Boat a 1963 Starcraft Starmist with a 1964 90Hp Johnson V4

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You should prolly start your own thread instead of reviving one that is 2 years old. You'll get more responses that way.

OldStardust

Seaman Apprentice

I wonder what ever happened to this restoration... I have the same boat, but mines a Stardust instead of the Starmist.