2001 Johnson 50 HP 2 Stroke

LUGGIE

Cadet
Just finished changing plugs, thermostat and head gasket. Compression is 120 on both. The problem I am having is the boats starts right up in my driveway with muffs. It will idle for hours. As soon as I drop it in the water it will not start and if it does it will stall out after ten minutes. Please help. :confused:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2001 Johnson 50 HP 2 Stroke

Back pressure can affect how the motor is running. Have you tried to adjust the slow speed needle valve when the boat is in water?

Muffs don't add too much back pressure.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Make sure you set the idle to the proper RPM with the boat in the water and the engine in gear.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the fuel pump pulse hose, the end connected to the block, behind the starter. The starter base rubs a hole in the hose. If this a cause, grind a notch in starter, repair hose. Sometimes you can cut 3/4 inch of of hose for a repair.

LUGGIE

Cadet

We made some adjustments today with idle, timing and throttle. Got it running in water for about 15 minutes. It ran great. Dock it and for about 10 minutes with the engine turned off and it would not start again. I am taking it in to get it look at. I will let you know what I find out.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I had one...motor always started...super cold or hot...motor always ran great too....I had it tuned twice in like 6 years....but it always ran great...

but that lower unit is one bad design, I replaced or repaired the LU four times!!!!

good luck

is your white or grey?

bob