New engine questions.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I installed a new 5.7 OMC (Cobra drive) yes.

I took it out today for a test run. I am not sure if my tach gauge works correctly. the guy I bought the boat from said that it works when it wants too. It has always "worked" for me as in it moves but I dont think it is accurate.

On the old engine it went up to about 4000 at WOT. On this new engine it only goes up to about 3200-3300 at WOT.

I noticed that there is not too much room on the throttle between when i can tell the other two whatever they are called (forget) on the card open and full throttle.

When I hear them open there is only I guess maybe 1.8th of the throttle range left before WOT.

The guy I bought the boat from said he used to have a 21P on it and it would go faster but was slow out of the hole. Is is very quick out of the hole and to get on plane now with a 15P prop.

I dont really believe the guy I got it from because he lied about a few other things. I will post another thread in the prop section to see if I put smaller pitch prop on it to get more RPM it owuld go faster. I doubt it because to get to spec WOT range I would need a drastic change in pitch.

What could be causeing this low RPM at WOT? Is there an adjustment on the throttle cable? Is there supposed to be such little throttle left after the other half of the carb opens up?

Thanks so much

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New engine questions.

Anyone?

I took it out today and it runs great but from half throttle to full throttle the RPM gauge only shows from 2800-3200

VGROBIDOUX

Recruit

Hello all ! I have a new-used searay with a 3.0 liter alpha one. Basically, I got it as is. Here's my problem, I have the engine serial number but i do not know the specs : horsepower or year of engine. Can somebody help me out ? The number is : OFO21422. THANK YOU ! ! !

carlh

Seaman Apprentice

Hello all ! I have a new-used searay with a 3.0 liter alpha one. Basically, I got it as is. Here's my problem, I have the engine serial number but i do not know the specs : horsepower or year of engine. Can somebody help me out ? The number is : OFO21422. THANK YOU ! ! !

VGROBIDOUX ask your question in a new thread as not everyone will see it hidden down here.