1996 Force 75hp running poorly

zach04071

Cadet
My outboard is not running smooth. The problem just developed this year. I had it tuned up at the local out board dealer at the start of the season.

The engine runs very smooth for about 2 seconds then looses about 200 rpm for about 2 seconds then runs smoth for about 2 seconds and so on. It does this at any speed after it is on plane. I noticed it first at WOT but now it seems to do it just cruising. It starts well and idles well. Any suggestions would me much appreciated. I would rather not have to pay to have it serviced.

Thanks,
Zach

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Force 75hp running poorly

AWelcome to iboats.

I think a good thorough carb cleaning is in order.
Shouldn't be too difficult with only one carb.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Go thru the carb.Then the fuel pump.Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram.
Do a compression /spark test.Check the plugs after you run it.Look for difference in burn/color. J

zach04071

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. Is there a carb kit that I will need before I take it apart? Any tricks I should know? I am pretty good mechanically, but have not messed with outboards much. I appreciate and tips and suggestions.
Thanks,
Zach