Honda 8 horse water pump

Wenaskid

Recruit
I need to inspect the water pump on my 2003 Honda 8 horse. I have a weak stream at low idle. How do you access the water pump?

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 8 horse water pump

Before you do that get a pick or an awl and clean out the pee hole. If that dosnt work then remove the lower unit then remove the impeller cover and replace the impeller since tyou have it out

Wenaskid

Recruit

I cleaned out the hole. We have a problem here with leaf cutter bees plugging the pee hole so that was the first thing I checked. I tried to take the lower unit off but it would not seperate. I disconnected the shift linkage and took all the bolts out. Is there something else that holds the lower unit the power head. What is happening is at low idle the head is not getting enough water. The water temp sensor will shut down the engine. If I run it at a high idle to wide open it won't shut its self down. I can pull the wire of the temp sensor and it will run ok, all the time water is running out the pee hole it never stops even at low idle it just slows a little. Thanks for the help.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Did you get the nut in the front part of the lower unit. You loosen it up and pull down at the same time. the impellers in these hondas are very sensitive. They need to be replaced every 2 years. If the impeller dosnt fix the problem then start looking at thermostat and temp sensor issues.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have an 8a or 8d ?Both cuurrently made but entirely different.

Wenaskid

Recruit

I'm not sure, I'll check tonight. I assume it should be in the serial number or model number. I bought it new in 2004.