Are Oil Drain Kits a good thing?

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have always hated pulling the oil through a dipstick to drain my oil in my 302.

I saw a kit that used a 42" long rubber hose with a cap that looked like a good idea. I would imagine you would fish it through the bilge drain hole and drain it into a pan.

I was wondering first, what size my drain plug is in my old 302 Ford, having never damaged one and had to replace one.

I wonder if anyone has used these and what is the verdict on this option. Also, what size is my Ford (1/2" x 20)?

Thanks,

Jim

fossill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Are Oil Drain Kits a good thing?

Most newer boats have them You could also go with a fumoto valve which makes life easier. Google it if you're not sure what it is.

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fossil,

Thanks for the tip on the Fumoto valve. I notice they have one that you can hook up a hose to. I think I have a car that likes to spill oil on the suspension. It is a good place for it. Now all I have to figure out is what thread it takes.

Jim

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way, Fumoto wrote right back to me telling me what the size. I copied his response.

Jim,

In the old days (70's) Ford was using 1/2"-20UNF plug on most of their engines. you will probably need our F101N valve.

Thanks,

Norio

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

When I installed my 454 I also put a "Drain Kit" on it but found out that the hose wouldn't fit though the bilge drain.

I ended up clamping the end of the hose to my port riser and I now use a vac pump to suck it out through the hose.

I like this better because I don't have to fish the hose though the hole and I can suck it out MUCH faster than it could ever drain out via gravity.

I also don't need a valve at the pan (and have to crawl on my head in the bilge to open it....) because the hose is higher than the pan!

It's just super easy to drain the oil now!

I use a Moeller vac pump. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8muuc_moeller-fluid-extractor-pump-overvi_lifestyle

Cheers,

Rick

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link. That looks like a good idea. I have been using a hand pump that extracts about a pint at a time through the dipstick. It is messy.

Jim