Does my black max 200 need an electric fuel pump?

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 29' 1977 Scarab center console with twin 200's, I think they are 1987 motors. I got the boat not running with no useful mechanical or operation history. The boat is a deep V and the motors are mounted pretty high, a few inches above 'normal'. The boat has an electric fuel pump but I don't know if it was needed, or just someone's crazy idea-the boat has many examples of dumb stuff on it. My manual states that if an electric is needed it must be regulated to 2PSI for the oil injection to work, but doesn't state what constitutes a "need" for an electric. I'm hoping someone can tell me if there's a known limit for how high the factory pumps can lift fuel.

THANK YOU!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Does my black max 200 need an electric fuel pump?

attachment.php

Attachments

• fuel pump vac test (600 x 721).jpg
    fuel pump vac test (600 x 721).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2

j_martin

Admiral

A lot of performance boaters will use a boost pump on that engine, or even bypass the mechanical fuel pump and supply fuel at about 4.5 PSI. These same folks also usually take off the oil injection system and pre-mix their fuel and oil. That engine will use up to 20 GPH at WOT, and failure of fuel delivery is often first noticed as the engine leans out, grenades, and throws rod caps at you.

On engine height ..... The engine on my bass boat is mounted about 6 inches behind the transom and high, and at WOT it runs with about 1/4 of the prop out of the water. Cooling water pickup slots are about 1/2 inch below the surface. Any other mounting costs either performance, or handling, or both.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If motor is is good mechanical shape it does not need one and likely it is not a BIA certified pump with cutoff..

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all, especially achris for the specifications!!!-exactly what I hoped to get. It's nowhere near 60" height but I'll do the vacuum test just in case there are other restrictions. I'll run the electric pumps open loop to simulate a WOT flow test. I'll probably leave them bypassed but in place in case of an off-shore emergency. Yup, I'd have to regulate them or pre-mix for that emergency.
As Faztbullet guessed, it's not a marine pump and doesn't appear to be wired with any sort of shut off, and mounted in the bilge with no real ventilation. It actually has two pumps, one for each fuel tank, but I didn't want to confuse the thread with any unnecessary details.
There are a million other things to fix on the boat, but I hope to make it safe enough for a lake test in the next week or two.
Thank you guys!!