Little too much weight?

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pullin into the ramp and saw these guys pullin' out, two tarps covering the boat for shade and a good bit of people on there.
Pic is blurry, cell phone fail.
The back of the deck was nearly underwater, the water was up to the bottom of the motor. At least they put the weight in the back, and not the front...

Reminds me of last summer when a whole bunch of us in the family were at a renuinion and climbed on the pontoon, it wasn't sittin like that, but there was enough weight in that when one person walked to the front of the boat, it hit some chop and nose dived into the water, thankfully uncle was quick enough to throw the throttle in reverse and people got wet quick enough to get off the front...good times.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Little too much weight?

I recently saw a home-made T-top made from 3/4" PVC pipe and a blue tarp on top--sticking up 6 feet out of a 14' jon boat. Looked like a floating lemonade stand.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

saw a toon, about 20' with at least 16 people on board. had a grill in the front with flames over the rail :O

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

prob too much weight to be legal by the DOW

Im kinda thinking you could prob not sink a pontoon boat very easy unless you punctured the toons.....might be able to flip one tho! hehehe :eek:

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im kinda thinking you could prob not sink a pontoon boat very easy unless you punctured the toons.....might be able to flip one tho! hehehe :eek:

Yeah it would be hard to actually sink one, I think. When we had our...experience, it was more like we were attempting to bury it like a jetski lol.
Not something I would like to repeat, but a good lesson.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, you can definitely flip one if you have weight distribution issues. Years ago I witnessed a very close call because a wasp or something caused everyone on board to run to one side. They were international students mostly from the middle east and didn't know any better. Scary.:eek:

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did see one flip several years ago in Savannah. We were on river street fronting (you guessed it) the River. We didn't go fishing that day because there was a heavy chop in the sound. I saw this toon coming up the river at a pretty good clip, spray everywhere, everyone getting wet. The waves were about 4 feet with the occasional 5 footer. He hit a trough wrong, the front nosed dived (weight on the front - kids were enjoying the spray. ) down went the bow buried in the oncoming wave and flipped the toon clean over. :eek: Good thing everyone was wearingthier lifejackets cause they all went for a swim, and that is something you don't wanna do in the savannah river on an outgoing tide with a heavy chop.. nope,, noway, nohow... One of the little ferries went out and picked them up. Towed the toon (upside down) over tho the dock and tied it off.

Nolaner

Cadet

Once at an aunt's when I was younger we nose-dived a pontoon, the engine went completely out of the water and the only thing that saved us was my portly uncle jumped to the back to balance it out.

I think the closest I've ever come to actually sinking a pontoon was once I was in FL on some training and during the SCUBA section they loaded so many tanks that we had to use a few bodies to balance the boat out, and a disturbing amount of water kept washing over the bow, I don't really think they thought that one out.