79 sea star interior

79mach1

Cadet
i have a 79 sea star that needs new interior what products would i need as in like vinyl and wood and things like that, all of the wood in the boat is rotten and garbage i would like to re do the carpet the two insides of the boat the front seats and the rear seats what would be my best bet? any pics might help

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 79 sea star interior

Read through the restorations. You have to repair the boat from the bottom up and inside out.

The interior is one of the last nice things you might have on your list.

Interior worries ......... is similar to having the cart in front of the horse ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What Bob is trying to say is, If the wood in the boat is rotten then you may have more serious issues to consider. Under the deck you have a wooden structure much like a house, that supports what you might call the floor, but we call the deck. You need to ensure that it is solid and not rotten befor you worry about making the carpet and the seats look good. You should also make sure the Transom(back section of the boat where the motor attaches) is soliid. With out these two section being solid the boat is pretty much useless. Putting lipstick on a pig does not make it anything but a pig. At least that's what my Mama taught me!!!!

I'm just sayin...

:D

79mach1

Cadet

the floor is solid and the wood for the seats and the motor cover are rotten i took the motor cover and the rear bench seats out cuz of the rot but the transom is solid as well the carpet is blue but partly black cuz of taking the motor out and it is just old and nasty i just have to replace the carpet and re do all of the bench seats

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've replaced seat and cover wood on most of my boats due to none of it being sealed when installed. I guess they figure it has a better chance to dry out than anything below deck. I just pull the staples from the covers, slide the old wood out and if its not too bad, use it for a pattern to make a new piece. I use a small wide crown air stapler which I picked up from Harbor freight for about $20 and put the covers back on. Works great and I've done a few friends seats for them also. Its pretty easy and saves you a ton of money over going to an upholsterer.

79mach1

Cadet

awsome alright thats pretty much what i need to do but i am re doing the covers also

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to i boats.

the upholstery for the boat is actually quite easy to do......but you have to have the right sewing machine or you will kill the wifes machine.

mdflores has a great thread on making boat upholstery.

as far as the wood that is the backing....make sure that you seal it well as said above.....paint at the absolute minimum. but a good wood sealant is allways a great choice.
make sure you take a hole saw and make pigon holes in the wood. this will allow moisture to drain and evaporate form your new interior.

as far as the foam that is the basis of your upholstery....there are many different kinds of thicknesses and density's. so go to a local foam shop and try them all.

if your uph had a kind of cloth/foam backing....just use a thin layer of foam and you will acheive the same results.

if the foam is good and not ripped or chunks missing you can reuse it.

cheers
oops