trailer trouble : (

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just a reminder to grease them axles regularly! especially on single axle trailers.. i found out the hard way yesterday : ( i hadnt checked it sincei bought it, and as i was coming home yesterday i had a bearing explode.. the bearing cage was nearly ripped out, and the wheel was flopping around.. i must not of noticed it right away? but i had it towed on a flatbed, and its being repaired.. no significant damage to trailer at all otherwise, thank god.. but the axle parts are toast.. not the way i wanted sunday at 9pm to work out.. grease them axles folks..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trailer trouble : (

You pack the bearings, not grease the axle.

mlrman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for your luck, but thanks for the reminder. Good advice.

Luckily, when we bought our first boat a few months ago and I went to pull the bearing caps, I was pleasantly surprised to see a large amount of fresh grease!

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You pack the bearings, not grease the axle.

well pardon the heck out of me.. i guess no one will understand what i meant then, huh silvertip.. silly me, i thought the bearing was on the axle? who knew

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for your luck, but thanks for the reminder. Good advice.

Luckily, when we bought our first boat a few months ago and I went to pull the bearing caps, I was pleasantly surprised to see a large amount of fresh grease!

i wish i had looked before, live and learn. it is supposed to be ready to be picked up today sometime, i hope so.. want to get back out on the river..

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I just ponied up for one of those new levitating trailers, so I'll never have to worry about packing bearings again. I have noticed that wind is more of a problem now though. Oh well. No design is perfect I guess.;)

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just ponied up for one of those new levitating trailers, so I'll never have to worry about packing bearings again. I have noticed that wind is more of a problem now though. Oh well. No design is perfect I guess.;)

pardon me for being ignorant, but levitating trailer... thats a first for me? do you mean a air lift on a lake? or something else?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Actually there are people that don't know squat about bearings and axles. You might be surprised at the number of people that slather a handful of grease on the spindles and slap things back together. That sir is greasing the axle. Packing the bearings is what is required.

Now if I can find one of those levitating trailers I can buy a smaller tow vehicle and get great fuel economy in the process. Less drag you know!

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually there are people that don't know squat about bearings and axles. You might be surprised at the number of people that slather a handful of grease on the spindles and slap things back together. That sir is greasing the axle. Packing the bearings is what is required.

i guess i was a little short when i wrote that, but i guess i thought it seemed more snippy and surly, then informative.. i know what you mean, having replaced bearings on cars, but for a newbie to bearings your explanation, i admit, holds a little more merit then the earlier snippit.. sir.. ; )

sorry if i ruffled your feathers..

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you had to have a mechanic do it for you? lol what did that cost you??!!
not sure why that is funny? u cant just go to autozone and ask for a 94 haul-rite trailer hub..

had to have, no - but it didnt really fit on the flatbed, and the hub was destroyed.. it was closer to tow to the shop that did it for me then my house, so a cheaper tow - AND since it barely fit, i was afriad it would bounce off.. he only drove like 30mph, and the broken bearing wheel wqas balancing up on the rail of the roll back.. plus, i am working pretty long hours, so i paid for it to be done.. got it today, paid 90$ for the parts and 140 for the labor, and he replaced the other side bearings too.. i thought it was very reasonable considering.. and now i can use the boat tomorrow, and i never would have gotten it done this quick.. and maybe the biggest plus, I didnt have to guess on what parts to buy..

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Jasper,
Boy have you been hammered....

Sure hope the disrespect doesn't prevent you from posting here again.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am pretty good at wading trough BS, this isnt my first internet forum.. \

first i am some idiot who doesnt understand bearing grease, then i am a idiot cause i paid someone else to fix it.. cant win with internet trolls.. silvertip - i know your not a internet troll - but i think u know where i am going with the topic..

lncoop

Vice Admiral

pardon me for being ignorant, but levitating trailer... thats a first for me? do you mean a air lift on a lake? or something else?

I was just being stupid. Meant I had a floating trailer that didn't require wheels. My wife will be the first one to tell you I'm VERY silly. Actually, I think the word she uses is retarded. Tomato, Tomahto. Glad you're up and running again. Happy boating.:cool:

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you had to have a mechanic do it for you? lol what did that cost you??!!

I'm the do it yourself type. I can do all kinds of different trades, BUT I'm getting to the point it's easier to make a phone call to get the job done. Too much goin on at work and with family. Sometimes it's worth the coin to just hire it done!

To each his own......

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just being stupid. Meant I had a floating trailer that didn't require wheels. My wife will be the first one to tell you I'm VERY silly. Actually, I think the word she uses is retarded. Tomato, Tomahto. Glad you're up and running again. Happy boating.:cool:

; ) i got it.. i wasnt sure was all.. my friend doesnt have a trailer, he has a floating lift at osage beach.. he has never called it a trailer, but he has referred to it as the only trailer he'll ever need..

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I was just being stupid. Meant I had a floating trailer that didn't require wheels. Happy boating.:cool:

Actually your "levitating trailer" made me think you were talking about a scissor lift style pontoon trailer. And you just did not know the more common term.
Since this thread is in the pontoon section, etc.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually your "levitating trailer" made me think you were talking about a scissor lift style pontoon trailer. And you just did not know the more common term.
Since this thread is in the pontoon section, etc.

i thought that for a second too, except those wheels get in the water just like a regular bunk style trailer..good call though