Flexibilty in Deck of Fiberglass Boats

rmurphy

Recruit
I have been looking at boats to purchase recently and a couple of the boats I looked at had something screwed into the fiberglass deck (i.e. chairs or t-top), and when I wiggles the object the deck around the object would move also. Is this a big problem with the fiberglass? I dont think its rotten. If it is a big problem, how much does it cost to fix? And how do you fix it? Also I am looking for my first boat, so I run away from everything that makes me think its a problem.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Flexibilty in Deck of Fiberglass Boats

Your deck is probably 1/2" plywood, if the object wiggle more than they would if screwed to a 1/2" plywood floor than that wood has some rot. How else could it wiggle if it was solid?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

It shouldnt wiggle AT ALL!

It's a seat. Think about it. How safe and sturdy could it be if it wiggles around?

The fiberglass floor is laid over 1/2" - 3/4" plywood. The seats more often than not also cross a stringer. If it wiggles, it's rotted underneath. the screw holes from the seat bases are a great place for water to intrude if not properly sealed when the seat was installed.

If it's soft or spongy, walk away. Look at some of the restoration threads before you undertake a repair of that sort.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

thats a rotten boat...stay away from those...the rot starts much lower than the plywood...trust me on this....

rmurphy

Recruit

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.