best red neck launch trick EVER

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am loitering at the launch watching for anything crazy (doesnt take long). And I see a guy with an old pick up pulling a jet ski trailer; but the hitch lock is up - not down. I cant get to him before he backs down the ramp to retrieve the jet ski. I walk fast, hoping to catch him before he loads the ski on....etc.

to my amazement, he lifts the toungue off the ball and lets the trailer (with a wheel on the jack) roll deep into the water....and he has a rope tied from it to the truck. Now he backs way into the water, tailgate completely submerged...and you guessed it, his buddy runs a jet ski right into the bed of the truck.

Then he pulls forward, pulling the empty sunken trailer with the rope, hooks it back on the ball, locks it down, and a second guy runs the jet ski on the trailer. And away they go....

I was very impressed. Looked crazy, but worked pretty well! 2 jetskis, one trailer. I kinda wonder how he gets it out of the truck at home though.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: best red neck launch trick EVER

Sounds dangerous and dumb, so yea red neck approved.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Amazingly enough, they do make side-by-side jetski trailers. With these crazy contraptions, one could launch two jetskis by backing one trailer into the water.

Dumb people are among us?Let mother nature take it?s course on them.

jludwick

Recruit

Amazingly enough, they do make side-by-side jetski trailers. With these crazy contraptions, one could launch two jetskis by backing one trailer into the water.

Those trailers aren't exactly cheap. More than my buddy paid for both of his skis (ok minus the engine work). Surprisingly, Jet skis are light enough where it leaves a person options for transport.

For what the person has (an old pickup he's not afraid of getting a little wet, 2 skis, and a trailer) he is making efficient use of ramp time with what he has. I don't think I would call this situation dangerous. He and the buddy could try to lift the ski into the pickup on a wet ramp, or just dunk the tailgate and drive it on. So he has to change the diff fluid a little more often. Maybe save for a fancy 2 place trailer for next season.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

depending upon how steep the ramp is , he may not even need to get his differential wet...with the tail gate laying out....

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Also, he may not care if he gets his diff wet. I extended the vent tube on mine for doing mud bogging and water crossing while out having fun. I'd bet the redneck did the same. Most guys I know that really use their 4x4 to the max extend the vent.

skargo

Banned

Last year I watched a guy dunk his ford rangers bed halfway in, and power his jetski right on in!
I'm sure it will rust in half in no time, but we got a good laugh at it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Not a redneck, just a clever boater.

A redneck would have run into the back of the cab with the ski. Then the truck would have stalled and he would have had to call Bubba to pull it out with his Searay.

The real redneck is the guy that buys the used pickup, not knowing the diffy is full of water.

dwco5051

Commander

I've seen the same thing, a fellow used to do it two or three times a week at the local ramp. One day he was on the throttle too hard and hit the back of the truck bed, drove it into the cab and broke the back window as well as mushing the front of his ski. He claimed the throttle "sort of stuck".

Anyone who owns a pickup for real work knows rear windows are an expendable item like tires, oil filters, fan belts, etc. Every so often they are going to need to be replaced.

haulnazz15

Captain

That's the way we loaded/unloaded a jet ski the first time I ever rode one. It was probably 17-18 years ago with one of those awesome Yamaha pink/white waverunners. It was a repo with no trailer that my dad's work had taken back, so we took it to the lake for the weekend. Backed the bed of the truck into the water and went on about our business. Never had an issue with the diffy or the truck for that matter. I wouldn't call it rednek, just resourceful. :)

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

+1 on the rear window in the pickup. A buddy was doing some landscaping and had to move a load of basketball sized rocks. Yeah, you know what's coming. Had a bed full of rocks when the last one was pitched in. Bounced pretty as you please off the top of the pile and right into the cab...:rolleyes:

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm thinking about buying a duece and a half and welding a boat trailer without an axel to it. Luanching the boat the same way that guy did... I think it might get some weird looks.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

I watched some guy back a late model Expedition over the axle into salt water to retrieve a boat- he said it "Don't hurt nothin'"

I would guess it was a leased vehicle, and when the ABS sensors and u joints on that IRS in the rear quit working and he takes it in, what are they going to say?

I refuse to dunk my vehicle in salt water- I will go back until the tires touch and that is it.

Hawk Eyes

Seaman Apprentice

I would be worried about the trailer falling of the end of the ramp. I watched a guy at the local lake yank his trailer in half because it fell of the end of the ramp.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I would be worried about the trailer falling of the end of the ramp. I watched a guy at the local lake yank his trailer in half because it fell of the end of the ramp.

Yea, or the rope coming untied.
that would suck.

I have seen this done once before, and on a really shallow ramp.

I get water just up to the bottom of the back rims, and my tailgate is almost at the water level.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Waaaaaaaay back in the day I used to launch my standup jetski out of the back of a front wheel drive station wagon for years that way..... push out drive in.... I even drilled a hole in the spare tire well for drainage....

I also once had a buddy throw a railroad tie through the rear window in my pickup

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why does it have to be Redneck. We all have a little redneck in us you just got to embrace it.

Just kidding. I would be more worried about the Hull of the ski unless he has carpet in the bed of his truck.

MacPointMan

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm thinking about buying a duece and a half and welding a boat trailer without an axel to it. Luanching the boat the same way that guy did... I think it might get some weird looks.

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haulnazz15

Captain

Why does it have to be Redneck. We all have a little redneck in us you just got to embrace it.

Just kidding. I would be more worried about the Hull of the ski unless he has carpet in the bed of his truck.

MacPointMan

We had a plastic bedliner, so no harm done. :)