garmin 160c display problems

buckw13

Seaman
hello all. Have a question on my fishfinder. The display becomes very distorted, lines all through the display. It also freezes up at times. As you can see in the pic i have moved the transducer because i thought i was getting turbulence from the motor. Since i moved it i have added the trim tabs. SO Could the location be the problem? Could it not be low enough below the hull bottom? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated HELP ME

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: garmin 160c display problems

You have way, way too much stuff going on there to get a good reading. What does the paint look like on the underside of the hull? Take a picture of the bottom of the hull looking forward.

buckw13

Seaman

Here is a couple of other pics. let me know if this is what you wanted to see thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0

buckw13

Seaman

Anybody know what the problem could be???? Please Help with any ideas. THANKS

Jungleboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The problem is with the unit - they're rubbish.

I just replied to a more recent thread asking for a good fishfinder, by pointing out NOT to get the Garmin 160C!

I have the same problem, often a garbled display at speed, plus it keeps freezing up, requiring you to switch the thing off and back on again.

If you possibly can, take the thing back to where you bought it and demand a different make and model that actually works - or just ask for a refund.

It was the cheapest color one I could find, but they're cheap for a reason. They're a pile of pants.

JB

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed one on my previous boat that had the same problem and I sent it back. The replacement was an identical model and worked great.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should also check your +12V wire to the fishfinder unit. I had similar problem with Hummingbird recently on another boat. I would notice the voltage seem to fluctuate during the period of high sonar return. I redid the +12v and ground connection. Voltage fluctuation went away and the fishfinder now reads clearly even at 25MPH.

B