Is it the clutch dog?

winner owner

Seaman
My outboard is a 1987 120 h.p. Evinrude V4
VRO ,motor serial # E120TXCUR
G1442751

At low rpm's,when I shift from neutral to forward, my outboard slips out of gear.However given a little throttle and at a little higher rpm the motor has no
trouble staying in gear.

Troubleshooting through the forum I concluded It's the clutch dog,that is until I read a post where a clutch dog needed replacement because it was slipping at WOT.

I saw no metal filings in the oil though there was few filings on the magnetized screw plug.

Before I tackle the clutch dog, is it possible it's something else?The lynch adjustments maybe?

Thanks!!

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it the clutch dog?

id adjust your shift cable a little bit before tearing it apart and it could be your prop slipping. I know it sounds weird but it has happened

winner owner

Seaman
Re: Is it the clutch dog?

Well...here's an update. I re adjusted my lynch, found a 1/4 inch variation on my previous setting. With much tension relieved a lake test run revieled she is not skipping out of gear at salmon trolling RPM'S.

However I can still feel a grinding vibration on the shift handle as I shift from neutral to forward...a little forward nudge this time ..and its in gear good.

Maybe as the shift cable wire settles from the stress it will remedy itself? With a later adjustment?

Or...troubleshooting through the forum, I'm thinking I may have some additional shift cable adjustments to diagnose?

The nut past the cotter pin that holds the prop...I found it was wayy loose... not the 130 lbs torque the manual suggests. I tightened it properly prior to the lake run. However I don't think this would cause a slipping prop?

Glad I didn't tear into the gear case!

Cheers!!