Where is my boats horn?

louisnardis

Recruit
Can someone please direct me to where on the boat the horn is located? I have an 87 Starcraft, 120 2.5L, Alpha 1. I can't follow the sound because the horn does not work - I carry a standalone horn on the boat. Hurry before I start tearing stuff up.

This is the first post I have made here, although I have been using this forum for over 3 years now. Thank you very much to everyone involved in maintaining and posting answers on this forum. I bought my boat 4 years ago. I am 55 and it is the 1st motor boat I have owned. With the help of this forum I now have the outdrive and motor purring like a kitten - the best thing was the link to the service manuals that was forced down (as a nation we really need to go back to the constitutional limits and ideals on copyrights, not the modern corporate enhancements we have now). I am about to upgrade the instruments, and will put in a new horn whether or not I find the old one.

Thank again - I would never have enjoyed my boat so much without this forum.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where is my boats horn?

Could be anywhere up front. Usually on the bow deck, or gunnel just in front of the windshield. Do you have a switch for a horn? Maybe it never had one.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Lucky #400 !!!!! - Thanks !!!

post a picture of your boat, that might help..

Its usually located on the Starboard side ( close to the helm )

You may also try following the 2 wires from the horn button.

It's either under the dash or under a "grill" on the side of the boat in front of the helm on the starboard side.

louisnardis

Recruit

There is a factory installed switch - pink and white wires going into the wiring harness.

ziggy

Admiral

do you know where the horn button in your boat is? assuming so... there's two wires attached to it. one would go to a power source. the other off to the horn itself.. so follow the wires is my suggestion..

fwiw.. and i don't know about your boat builder. but on my old boat. back in '75. it didn't come with a horn. so i suppose that could be the case too. ya can't find it cause there isn't one... just food for thought.

haulnazz15

Captain

If the horn is on the outside somewhere (like chrome horns), then it's likely mounted under the dash at the helm. That's usually where I see most of them mounted, however, just trace the hot lead to the horn from the horn switch.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It probably doesn't have a horn. If it did you'd have no problem locating it.

sasto

Captain

If she were mine... I would mount the new horn in a location that suits me. Thinking maybe the pink used to be red which would be pos. Once I was sure I had power to switch then run new wire from other terminal on switch to the pos. lead on horn. Then I would run a ground wire to a ground buss located in console, hopefully.....not necessairly in this order.