Oil on my Evinrude

Annoix

Cadet
I went out to put the drain plug in my Starcraft, and was startled to find oil running down the side of the motor. The guys up here at the lake say it's just greasy water running down, because we've had some major storms here in northern Wisconsin lately. I pulled the cover off and there WAS some water pooled up in the bottom of the motor, but otherwise it is very clean. The motor's been running absolutely great, with no hint of a problem.

Any thoughts? It's a 1971 85hp Evinrude. I wiped the oil off before I took the pic, so I Photoshopped in how the oil looked.

Thanks!

Attachments

• evinrude.jpg
    evinrude.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil on my Evinrude

my 50 hp did that too. it could be exhaust oil not making its way to the exhaust port, so it leaked between the lower cowling/midsection. I never did anything about it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If I am looking at it properly, it looks like normal 2 cycle unburnt oil leaking from the exhaust housing, not a problem, normal.

Annoix

Cadet

Thanks guys! I won't worry about it. I've only had this '74 Starcraft this summer, and it's been a lot of fun. The guy I bought it from took good care of it, apparently. He told me to run 50:1 mixture in the gas, and actually I may have mixed it with a little too much oil last time. So, maybe that would account for unburned oil? Was he correct about the 50:1 ratio? It does kick out a lot of smoke when I start up, but so did my Tango so I figure that's normal.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

Annoix..buy one of the mixing bottles it has the graduations for how much oil for the amount of gas...it has different ratios also....say for chainsaw ..weed wacker....its a great item to have..no guess work..

Al