Potential Mechanic Negligence on OMC

sarnone

Seaman Apprentice
Forum friends, I was recently having some electrical problems with my ignition. I replaced some components and was running fine when it died again. My troubleshooting skills didn't seem up to the task so I let my marina mechanic do the job. Unknown to me, a different guy fixed the problem. I took it out for a ride. Something started squealing so I shut it down. Opened the hatch and there was smoke pouring out, along with metal shavings all over my transom mount. It appeared like something got stuck between the, excuse me if this is incorrect terminology, bell housing and counter balancer on the driveshaft. It looks like someone put it on a lathe and ground a bunch of the edge. I'm led to believe that the mechanic left something in there, that got jammed. My reason for that is the mechanic left some of my harness clips lying on the cockpit floor and left my ventilation tube of the flame arrestor and didn't even put it back on the correct way. He was either in a hurry or is not much of a mechanic. And for such a strange problem I assume he left something in there.

I am just trying to sort things out as far as blame and would like some opinion on where to head with this situation.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Potential Mechanic Negligence on OMC

Before doing anything else, take a bunch of pictures... These could prove to be very important down the road if the repair facility refuses to accept responsibility for their mistakes and correct everything for you.

It would be good if you could post a few of those pics here too.;)

sarnone

Seaman Apprentice

300sflyer, thanks for the reply. I have discovered a bolt, with the head lodged between the flywheel housing and the coupler. I am going to try and tap it out with a piece of rod or square stock. It's at the very bottom of the coupler with the threads pointing rearward. Now I have to find out where it came from.

I brought my camera with me yesterday. It is so hard to see the exposed portion of the coupler that I don't believe I can get a picture that tells much.

Thanks again.
Steve

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Is the boat stored near the repair facilty? I would give them ONE chance to make this right, and correct all of the mistakes they made. If they refuse to do so, or if you have any further propblem related to their work and they work on it a second time, then further actions could be taken.

sarnone

Seaman Apprentice

300sflyer, I am going to pull this jammed bolt first. Then when I figure out where it belongs I will direct the blame. The closest bolt to the spot where the jam occurred is the y-pipe mounting bolts. However, I can't understand how it would come loose and fall out. I am sure stranger things have happened.

Thanks
Steve

sarnone

Seaman Apprentice

Forum, I'm officially closing this thread. One of my y-pipe bolts backed out until it's head got caught between the bottom of my coupler and the flywheel cover and caused the binding of the coupler.

Thanks
Steve

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

thanks for the follow up. nice to know it wasn't a case of poor workmanship

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would give them ONE chance to make this right, and correct all of the mistakes they made.

Well, well, surely there's something the shop can be blamed for! I mean, golly, aren't they the root of all evil? :confused:

Other than that, how did the electrical repairs work out? :)