oil leak

Doctag1979

Cadet
have a 98 Merc 3.0L with an Alfa I. I have been having a gear oil leak, I have replaced the reservoir thinking it was that since it seemed that around the wires had oil on it and knowing that it can not be fixed. I also changed the hose coming from the bottle Just in case, and have tightened the coupling that it goes in to. I am still getting oil in the bilge and now have no clue where to look next. Please help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: oil leak

It may be leaking into the bellows (from the front seal of the leg) and through the drain hole in the transom housing. You need to pull the leg off and look inside the bellows....

Chris...........

achris

Put the gear lever in forward gear.
If it isn't already, trim drive to the DOWN position.
Remove the nuts/pin securing the AFT end of the trim rams to the drive (that's the end that is the furthest away from the front of the boat).
Remove the 6 nyloc nuts holding the drive to the bellhousing.
Take the weight of the drive and pull it away from the boat.

Drop drive on the ground as you didn't realise how bloody heavy it was....:D

Chris...........

achris

If the bellows has oil in it, then it can only come from one place, the front seal. And most likely the seal surface on the yoke is grooved.

You have 3 choices.
1. Replace the yoke.
2. 'Speedi-sleeve' the yoke.
3. Set the seal 0.020" deeper and have it run on a 'new' surface..

You'll need to replace the seal regardless, so to do that you'll need the special tool to remove the retainer ring on the front of the 'top box' (upper half of the complete drive). Once the retainer is off, then pull the drive gear out. Set it up in a vice and remove the nut on the end of the yoke. Disassemble the drive gear and bearings off the yoke. replace the old seal (0.020" deeper if that's the method you choose) and reassemble the yoke, set the bearing preload as per spec...

Reassembly of the rest of the system is reverse of disassembly....

Good luck.... and don't forget to pressure AND vacuum test the drive when you're done.

Chris...........

Doctag1979

Cadet

O one more ?? How bad is this problem, can i just keep adding oil and use the boat till I can dig in to it

achris

It will just get worse.

Take it to a shop and have it repaired, will cost about $50 in parts and 3 hours labour (at worse). Or one day you'll lose all the oil and fry the bearings and gears in the top box.... cost about $1395 (plus labour to fit) to replace the entire leg!

Your choice..

Chris......